• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Insurance Advice Please

Bit of advice required, will try and make it as brief as possible. Basically we're being given my in-laws old Golf which has been locked in a garage for 12 months declared SORN.

I need to drive it down to the garage to get it MOT'd, so I have two questions.

1. Do i need to notify the DVLA at all as it's declared as off the road, but I can't get tax for it until it's had it's MOT?

2. It's not currently insured, but is registered in my in-laws names. My insurance policy allows me to drive other peoples cars giving third party cover, but does the car still need to be insured by the owner (from a legal standpoint) for me to drive it?

Si

Bit of advice required, will try and make it as brief as possible. Basically we're being given my in-laws old Golf which has been locked in a garage for 12 months declared SORN.

I need to drive it down to the garage to get it MOT'd, so I have two questions.

1. Do i need to notify the DVLA at all as it's declared as off the road, but I can't get tax for it until it's had it's MOT?

2. It's not currently insured, but is registered in my in-laws names. My insurance policy allows me to drive other peoples cars giving third party cover, but does the car still need to be insured by the owner (from a legal standpoint) for me to drive it?

Si

1. as long as you have a MOT booked, you can drive it to the MOT center.

2. The car needs to be insured by the owner.

1. as long as you have a MOT booked, you can drive it to the MOT center.

2. The car needs to be insured by the owner.

But if it's not taxed you can't drive it there, needs to be on a trailer, in the eyes of the law....

But if it's not taxed you can't drive it there, needs to be on a trailer, in the eyes of the law....

nope, if you have a booked MOT with the garage, you can drive it there. it's on the website

I knew that as the case with tax, but not SORN'd :) Told him it needs insurance before I can sort it out.

Thanks for the responses!

Back