• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Insurance Question

Just a quick one guys.

Me and my girlfriend have just bought a new car for her. We live together and I've done the deal and everything, but she's sorted the insurance out in her name with me as a named driver.

We've realised the garage has registered the car in my name, so she's not the registered keeper.

Does this allow her to insure the car? Is it just a case of telling the insurance company she's not the registered keeper, but I am??? Will it affect price???

Cheers guys.

You should talk to the insurance company.

If when she took out the policy she was asked the standard question "are you the owner and main driver of the car".... then she's inadvertently provided inaccurate information, and to be sure you're covered, you should phone up the insurance people and tell them.

It may well be that they're fine with it and no extra cash would be required (my GF works for an insurance company, and almost always they'd not make any premium adjustments over that sort of information)

The worst case would be .... if you don't tell them.. and later need to claim on the policy.. they might have an excuse for not paying out.

Thanks mate.

I'll definitely tell them. The GF's got it in her head she can't insure the car if she's not the registered keeper but I'm sure thats not the case.

yeah mate Shackbleep is right,
i work for an insurance company and it wont affect the price with the wrong details on but
get it changed soon because if a claim happens they will try and find any little excuse not to pay out!

Back