• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Intake & ECU upgrades for the EP3

Hi to all the Type R owners out there,

This is my first post so hoping that I am doing it right haha.

I am looking to tune my EP3 to get some extra BHP and to make it more responsive, the only performance modifications currently are a Blitz SUS Induction Kit and Blitz Nur Spec cat back system.

I have got the car booked in with TDI-North for a K100 install and remap because I know they are one of the best out there, whilst I am doing that I thought about upgrading the intake manifold for an RBC one and the induction kit for an AEM CAI, I havent seen many people on here who talk about or praise the Blitz sus system so I wanted to know that the general agreement out there is that the AEM CAI and the RBC would be worthwhile to change to include in the remap?

I am also thinking of eventually changing the Blitz Nur Spec system for a Spoon N1 and B pipe and just wanted to know peoples thoughts?

Thanks all.... :)

Hmmmm if it was me (and I'm a tightwad :lol: ) I'd wait until you have all the bits together and map the parts you are aiming to get.

To spend out on getting the Blitz system etc mapped, then changing to something different down the line, to then have to get it mapped again is a waste imo. Maybe enjoy the mods you currently have and save the bits like the RBC, Spoon B-pipe etc and then get those mapped at a later date. I think for a map it's £400 ish & to spend out this twice is up to you but why not save it and buy some more mods? :D

Scott

Hi Pete.
IMO you could keep the same intake you have and spend the cash on a 4 2 1 manifold, decat or sports cat, combined with your current set up, RBC intake manifold and k100 would see good gains, and make it a lot more responsive as you wish.
However I'm quite new to the type r world too. So could be wrong, the way I see it, if your set up is quite good then there's no point in spending more money replacing the parts you already have, get new stuff :)

For me any open cone in the engine bay is no good at all, Ive experimented on a dyno comparing open cone to a hondata modified oem box and filter and the oem box. The engine developed almost 7 bhp more than the open cone/foam mushroom. Go back to your stock airbox, gut it and fit a k+N or cosworth filter. Sell your Blitz and put the money towards an RBC and a stainless header, then get it mapped. You should be well on the way to 250 bhp.

Hi Scotttomo, Milly and Evo360

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate your time especially being my first post.

I have read loads of different articles and everything seems to agree that engine bay mounted induction kits are not great items due to heat soak from the engine which makes a lot of sense when you actually think about it, although the Blitz system is a really well made piece ok kit I get the impression if anything it will only be hampering performance.
I have got the car booked in with TDI to fit an RBC intake manifold, AEM CAI and K100 ECU and cant wait (like a kid waiting for christmas haha) Paul at TDI thinks with these mods it should make around 230-235BHP whilst retaining the OEM exhaust manifold and cat.

I did think about going down the sports manifold and decat or sports cat option but i get the feeling the sports cats are not guaranteed to pass the MOT and even though once a year it seems to be a real ball ache to change the decat pipe every year, does anyone know if theres a race manifold that will fit to the standard cat?

Thanks again all....

There are options out there for two piece manifold (shortys) and cats but they wont make as much power as the one piece items.

Japspeed is probably the best value short manifold out there. Dont be put off by the name or the price because it is supposed to be farily decent stuff

Cheers Evo

I might look at manifolds/de-cat or sports cat at a later date, the only reason I have not had it done all at the same time is the MOT issue to be honest mate although I am going to see if there is a seperate B pipe that i can run from the cat to the back box but this is more for an aggressive tone than anything else, the Blitz Nur Spec system i have got has got quite a big silencer on the intermidiate pipe so i thought swapping this for just a straight pipe might make a difference.

Back