• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Integra DC2

Hello everyone!
I bought my 1st Honda at the end of August thread to track progress in restoring it back to former glory. (will be big picture heavy so sorry in advance!)
Here is a link to the thread on the DC2 forum (http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105198)

Before I start on the car I thought I'd show the car I moved from when I got the teg.

It's a mk2 MG ZR 2.0tdi. Previous insurance write off with just over 100k on the clock. Done a little modifying to it (bigger injectors and boost turned up, more mods planned) then the gearbox broke itself (stupid plastic caged bearings) so I made the choice to start looking for a new car. When I made the choice to find a car there were a few cars in my mind but 1 stood out from the rest, the DC2.

The long search for a car started. Me and my brother spent 3-4 months looking out for the right car to come up for sale. We were at a disadvantage because we both work Monday-Friday so we were limited as to when we could go look at cars. Several times we had made plans then got the dreaded call saying the car has been sold. We even went to the South coast of England to look at a car that turned out to be in a terrible condition.

We then saw the advert for a JDM '00 type RX. After looking at the ad I got in touch with Coopster and asked him to send me some photos of all the small marks, etc. He happily sent the photos and after looking at them and seeing the car needed a bit of work we decided to made the long trip from Scotland to Hampshire. After getting there, looking over the car and taking it a test drive I fell in love with the car. It was great. I parted with my money and we loaded the car onto the pickup (left 2 long scrapes from the splitter on the ground because the ramps weren't long enough) then we started the long drive home.

We spent almost a full day cleaning and polishing the car so we could see clearly where all the little marks and dents were. After the wash and clay bar the car looked better than we expected.
Before:

And after:

We decided to machine polish the car to make it stand out some more. It cleaned up the car really well.
Taped up:

Panel on left has been polished while right one hasn't:

After the polish the car looked alot better. Well worth the effort.

Quick panaramic shot of my car next to my mates Astra:

I think that will do for now. Some small electrical problems to sort and a new clutch to fit along with giving the wheels a good refurb are all planned for the near future so will update when they are all done. Not got many plans for the car but I think I will be trying to keep it standard (except hardrace bush kit)
All comments/advice are welcome :)

Looks nice. Have the wheels been painted before? Get that cam cover re sprayed! I like the look of that red GTR

Been a while since the last update so here it goes!
There isn't alot that has been done to the car in the time. The biggest change has been the headlight.

I had a headlight bulb go out while ago and when the new bulbs arrived we decided to try and clean up the headlights a bit.
The headlights are quite cloudy and since we had the time and the tools we decided to give them a shot. Here they are before:

The fun part began with taking the front end off, getting the lights out and taking the ballast off.
The front end:

The light unit out with the ballast off:

The old and new bulbs side by side:

Before putting the lights back in we went over to the workshop to try clean up the lights.
This is them before (they look worse due to the angle)

A few shots of them during the cleaning up process:

The final shot. They are not perfect but a dam sight better than they were before.

The next step was getting the front fog lights and the reverse light to work. After changing the bulbs on the front fogs they still wern't working. I decided to change the fuse and that still didnt work. So we decided to have a look at the wiring under the dash. The view we saw was nothing short of a disaster.

It looked like someone had been a bit happy with some snips and some tape. A few chopped wires not connected to anything and the front fogs that were patched into the full beam. After a little bit of electrical magic the front fogs now work from the switch.

The next problem to sort was the reverse light. We were unsure if the reverse lights were even connected because the driver side reverse light is a rear fog light.
While looking under the dash we noticed a red wire that looked a bit out of place:

After tracing it to the boot we found that it was an independent wire for the read fog light:

That made us unsure why the reverse light wasn't working. We took the holder out and found out there was no bulb in it. After a quick trip to Halfords the bulb was in and the majority of the electrical problems were sorted.

The final problem to sort was the slow puncture of the wheel. Luckily it was just a bad seal on the rim. My friend told me to bring it round and he would sort it.
Here's a picture of the wheel. It looks like the tyre was placed on the wheel while it was still a bit wet and that's what made the bad seal.

On a happier note, some parts finally arrived!
My new clutch and Hardrace bush kit thanks to Scott at h-tune. Would recommend anyone looking for parts to get in touch with him.

I also have some new rear light seals ready to go on soon and a set of Honda OEM RTA's still to arrive.

Got a few more photos from local events/meets:

Biggest thing that has changed about the car is that it is now mostly stripped out thanks to finding a nice swimming pool in my spare wheel well.

The 1st thing I changed were the rear light seals due to finding water in the lights.

Patched in rear fog

Lots of surface rust

Inside the sills

Starting to get a nice collection of parts

The car is still currently stripped out due to not having the time to find the leak but have plenty of things in the boot soaking up the water.

Things then got worse when the car started to feel really juddery when trying to pull away and not wanting to change gears that well. After a quick check I realised the clutch slave cylinder was past its best.

Ordered a new one and got round to changing it

While doing that I decided to clean the IACV and PCV valve.
Got the PCV valve off and it looked quite messy.

I gave it a good clean and put it back in (forgot to take an after photo)
Next was the IACV

All clean

Got some new shiny parts from Scott at H-tune

Gave the car a test drive and found that it was still juddering while pulling away. Had a look on the forums and found out that the clutch was probably done (not surprising after 120k miles!) Thankfully I had a clutch sitting waiting for it so it was off to the workshop to change the clutch.

Soaking the nuts to take the manifold off

Manifold off

Gearbox out

The old clutch

Bit of metal at the top broke off the clutch

Flywheel

New release bearing on the gearbox

New clutch on and lined up

Gearbox back on

New gearbox oil

We took the time to give the car a full oil change and change the sump plugs to magnetic ones

New HAMP shortie filter

New oil

Took a photo of the odometer as reference for clutch change, gearbox oil change and oil service

Got some new braided brake and clutch lines from HEL ready to be fitted some point in the near future

Finally managed to find a decent set of new front seats too for a reasonable price

After a good clean

Quick comparison of the old and new drivers seats

Got some seat covers from capital seating for them. Will put some photos up sometime soon

It was finally dry in Scotland for a day (very rare sight) so me and my brother gave the cars a really good clean

Hoping that by the next update that the leak will be sorted, car will be re-undersealed and the braided lines and hardrace bush kit will be fitted in time for Japfest

Back