• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Interesting discrepancies in service history...

HI,

I was reading up on some common issues and things to check on the FN2, and one thing that stood out was valve clearances.

The car I have bought (from a Honda dealer, with dealer warranty) came with a replacement service book, which shows the last service was done at 49.7k miles (so the 50k mile service) on 8 / 12 / 11.

Interestingly, chappy on Honda UK web chat informed me that the last full service was done at 37k miles, in Oct 2010. The last activity that they have on the system is "unspecified" at 27/01/2012 - so, when I picked up the car. :lol: He couldn't help me as to what was done - but said it could be anything, from a repair, to a check.

What do I do now? I will call the dealer to clear this up, but for now, it looks like a bit of forgery with a dash of false advertising. (I was told by the sales guy that full service has just been done). Or maybe I am overreacting ...

Thoughts? Ammo for my telephone call tomorrow ? :)

I'd go with what you've got. Honda themselves aren't showing the last service.

It could be that they've done a "dealer service" which are cheaper and don't have as many checks as the official Honda service.

It definitely needed to have included the value clearances though, so if it didn't, give them both barrels!

Cool. Thanks for reassuring me. The dealer indeed has not done clearances and claims it's 62.5k mile service it's going to be done at. Last service was a "dealer service" indeed. I'm leaving the car with them tomorrow to get the tracking and steering wheel issue sorted, will have some words.

62.5k is for the 1.8. Type R needs doing every 25k. It's not the first time I've heard of dealers getting that wrong.

Civic12500Service.jpg

It should be in your service book if they've given you the right one. :lol:

Lol, i'd hope so. It's new, clearly not the original one, and on the back it says it was issued / printed on 3/10..

Heh, the dealer says that models on 07 plate needed the adjustment every 25k miles, but 57 plate need it only every 62500.

Heh, the dealer says that models on 07 plate needed the adjustment every 25k miles, but 57 plate need it only every 62500.

Load of rubbish, same engine. Phone him back and ask him politely to check with Honda UK because you know he is wrong.

HA! result. They called me back after I've asked them (politely) to call Honda UK.

"it is indeed everty 25000 miles and it is written in very small print on the service schedule provided to us by Honda. It was carried out on your car on the 49700 mile service performed in December"

:lol:

If they didn't know it when you spoke to them, I'm not sure I'd be trusting them to have done it in all honesty.

Dodgy situation to be in. Do you take their word for it and do nothing or get an independent to check it over.

If they did them though, how does it explain Honda UK not having it on official record?

I'd get an independent to check it over, but they all are far far away. East Anglia / Cambridge area seems to be a desert when it comes to performance garages, it was the same with my MR2 :(

I am not convinced they did it either "service was done to specification", but I will have a look tomorrow at the list. All in all, the car is under warranty for another year.

seems like they are just telling you what you want to hear. I got my service coming up soon and I think this may need doing on my car. Ill have a dig through the service history tonight.

TDi are in Thurrock, just over an hour away from Cambridge.

They know their stuff when it comes to K20s! ;)

Good to know in case Honda didn't do it and refuses to do it.

When the car is out of warranty, I will be looking at independents, for now, Honda it will be..

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of adverts I have seen that state FSH yet when I have been a couple had missed a stamp, it may of been serviced and the book not stamped, but you never know.

I always used to keep the print out as well with mine, no one seems to bother now and just the book to suffice, but at least with the paperwork as well, you know what has been done.

Every reciept, card slip and old MOT is in my folder. It's the only way to do it in my opinion.

I stop short at keeping old tax discs though. :lol:

well, car was bought at the dealer and I only got a new service book with stamps all the way to 50k, but no details. Honda UK confirmed the dates and mileage of all of them (apart from the last one, which was a dealer service indeed), so I can live with that. Oh well. As long as its under warranty, I don't care much, and I will be keeping all receipts from now on. Car in today for tracking. They gave me a 60 plate 2.2 diesel for today, which is surprisingly nippy...

I used the Cambridge dealer once for the first service on mine, never went back.

Back