• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Intermittent noise on start up??... black smoke? 2004 ep3 facelift

As title says....

Intermitent noise on start up?.. sounds like sticking starter? Had car 4 years and has always done it?
Loads of people say ctr sneeze??

Had chain & tensioner at 85k, now on 95k, noise has never gone????? Have noticed a slight oil leak from where the white sealant is on the side, so been keeping an eye on oil level.

Now I also get a cloud of black smoke when put my foot down, could this just be due to car not being warmed up, as when it has happened I have only been driving 5 minutes so the vtec has not kicked in? (Bad driving I know!) Friend driving behind me said it smells metally?!
Could just be the cat?....

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
the sounon start up may possibly just be sticking starter motor solenoid, take it off and strip it down and give it a clean.

with regards to black smoke, you shouldnt over rev youre engine until its fully warm as it could damage it, the black smoke is un burnt fuel which could be due to it been on cold start still or if the engine is fulkly warm and black smoke still come out it will be over fuelling. which could be caused by a number of faults

hi mate. i suffered with oil leaks on my ctr and black smoke that had the same smell. I spent £100's on attempting to fix it. unfortunately it turned out to be the oil rings so i dropped the lump and had it all machined and fully reconditioned. Its a brand new engine now and worth doing if your keeping it. i would do an oil compression test on it. i have learnt that any oil leak needs immediate attention.

Back