• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ipod and stereo

i,m after upgrading my stereo so was thinking about getting one that you run with an ipod, my problem is i,ve not got a clue what to buy (this includes which ipod) i,ve never had an ipod:eek: and dont have a clue how they work but i,m willing to learn so any advice on what to get will be helpful, also i,m not loaded so nothing over the top thanks in advance damian

Alpine IDA-X100 seems to be going down a treat here.

As with the IPOD it depends on what our uing it for, for example all your music collection, videos etc or just a few sons you can listn to here and there.

Also if the X100 is above your budget, try the X200. I had it and it was a great piece of kit, with these systems though the CD player is non existant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpine IDA-X100 seems to be going down a treat here.

As with the IPOD it depends on what our uing it for, for example all your music collection, videos etc or just a few sons you can listn to here and there.

Also if the X100 is above your budget, try the X200. I had it and it was a great piece of kit, with these systems though the CD player is non existant.
cheers mate i,ll have a look at them now, as for the ipod really i,ll just put a few albums on so just looking for the most user friendly and easy to download onto, but modern so that my 12 year old daughter thinks her dads cool :p

ok just looked at the stereos and price wise there both fine x200 £120 and x100 £220 that was just a quick google search so i,ll have a proper look later but are these prices about right and is the differance between the 2 worth the extra 100 notes also any more recommendations welcome:)

I think the main ( and only??? Nick, Jermal? ) difference is the screen. One is like an LCD type which can display album art and the other (x-200) has just a normal screen. Remember you dont get a CD player with them , just Ipod/USB compatable with Radio.

As for the Ipod, if thats all you are using it for just go for a base model, anything else is well above your needs. They all work in the same way so nothing to worry about there.

Something like this,- http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...s&category_name=/Specials/Apple iPod Nano NEW . 8GB should be enough for a few albums and 16GB , well is 16 GB.

Or if you want that little bit more storage, http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...ategory_name=/Specials/Apple iPod Classic NEW

I don't know what thy are like second hand?

cheers for that i,ll just see if any one else has any more ideas i,e ones with cd players but i,m pretty much sold on the x-100, the only thing is as i was looking i,ve seen some with small screens that play dvds aswell pretty pointless but they do look good :smt047 as for the ipod i,ll get one of them you give me the link to so thanks again :lol:

No problem mate, yeah get some more suggestions, oh and shop around for the best prices with ipods but im sure you will.

ok i,ve looked at these ida x100s can any one tell me if they charge the ipod aswell i have looked but cant find it anywhere, and is there a more recent model as the numbers dont seem to go in order i,e 100 newer than 200 also any more recommendations please

i have a idaX100 and for the ipod controls nothing else came close when i bought it. This model has now though been replaced by (i think it is the right number) the X305.

Both the x100 and its new version will control all the functions on the ipod and display the album art work along with title etc. The controls are almost the same as those on the actual ipod so very very easy to use.

Although the iDA X100 and iDA X200 look very similar apart from the screen, you'll probably find that the internals of the iDA X100 will be better due the higher price of the head unit. This will mean that it works faster for example and may even be more powerful. I haven't compared the spec of both of them, but I'm guessing this would be the case.

£90 delivered for Skyliner34's iDA X200 is a steal though, unless you're particularly bothered about LCD screen etc.

Worth mentioning that neither head unit is compatible with the iPhone.

As for which iPod is best, I would buy one with a capacity that suits your needs. All of the user interfaces are very similar and easy to use. Don't get a shuffle though (No screen = pants).

Although the iDA X100 and iDA X200 look very similar apart from the screen, you'll probably find that the internals of the iDA X100 will be better due the higher price of the head unit. This will mean that it works faster for example and may even be more powerful. I haven't compared the spec of both of them, but I'm guessing this would be the case.

£90 delivered for Skyliner34's iDA X200 is a steal though, unless you're particularly bothered about LCD screen etc.

Worth mentioning that neither head unit is compatible with the iPhone.

As for which iPod is best, I would buy one with a capacity that suits your needs. All of the user interfaces are very similar and easy to use. Don't get a shuffle though (No screen = pants).
cheers, i,m about 90% sure i,ll go for the 100 just going to look at few more before i take the plunge, i went in halfords today just for a look and quite like the idea of that parrot thing:lol: i just think it might look untidy, seemed like alot of wires and then i liked the ones with the flipout dvd screens but that would just be to impress the daughter:lol:, its alot more confusing than i thought :confused:

I bought the JVC KD-R701 when I was looking for a new iPod/iPhone compatible stereo. Does everything the Alpine one does, remote control etc. - plus you can change the colours to whatever you want - (literally 1000's of options) and have a different lights on / lights off colour.. which is pretty cool. The sound's excellent and I'm struggling to remember why I paid twice the amount for my last Kenwood one lol

Plug your standard iPod USB cable in the front - no need to buy an Alpine lead and it charges it on the go - which is ace as I use my iPhone as a Head-Up Display for speed and speed cameras when I'm driving. You can choose whether the head unit or the iPod controls the tunes etc.. all for less than £120

eBay link! <<<

plus you can change the colours to whatever you want.

Plug your standard iPod USB cable in the front - no need to buy an Alpine lead and it charges it on the go - which is ace as I use my iPhone as a Head-Up Display for speed and speed cameras when I'm driving. You can choose whether the head unit or the iPod controls the tunes etc.. all for less than £120

Well firstly you can change the colours on the alpine as well. Secondly you don't need to buy any extra leads for the alpine. It is already in the box ready to go. Is just a short lead which the supplied usb to ipod lead plugs into and away you go.

I am sure you could find a second hand X100 now for under 120 quid and IMHO alpine is far the better brand but as i say thats just my opinion.

I was only giving the guy a cheaper option with the features he asked for lol. Sorry I forgot to add IMO.

Back