• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is hondata worth it without the accompanying mods

Hi

Currently my car has a Gruppe M Intake, a Spoon N1 and a 2.5 silenced bpipe.

i am considering a hondata ecu and associated map

essentially, i am wondering if it is worth upgrading the ECU and paying for mapping etc if i dont run an RBC & Race Header.

from what i understand, the car with the decat and uprated inlet will make around 235+

what gains will i get from a hondata map if i have the stock inlet mani and a cat still in place and is the RBC/RH combo 100% to get the best out of the map?

any feedback would be helpful

cheers

You will still see and feel a noticable improvemt mid-range by having it mapped. Makes a big difference.
You would be better getting a decent mani but you can always stick that on later and get the map tweeked.

Yes, you would see good gains on a totally standard engine. Yours should make near 230. Mine made 223 with similar mods & standard backbox.

cool, i am not overly keen on changing the manifold

would there be any merit in looking at a high flow/sports cat to keep things mot legal?

i plan on doing some track days next year so i am guessing adding a race mani to my current exhaust sertup will result in noise level failures for most UK tracks

I'm in the same thinking, I don't like the non-legal and loud aspect most manifolds bring. I have a DC5 mani ready to go on mine, not much better but a slight flow improvement without all the downsides.

Yes is the short answer to sports cats however it's not that straightforward. AFAIK, it's not as simple as removing the OEM cat and replacing it because it is captive to (part of) the manifold. As I understand it, the sports cat is an afterthought mod for people who want to make a decat manifold back into a street legal system.

I've changed my tact completely these days. I would be aiming for a system around 95db and an absolute max of 98db. Dottys feels combined with a twin loop was superb.

Absolutely perfect.

see from my research, it seems that my system currently would be around 98

my initial idea is to put the oem back box on for track work.

i cant see it effecting things too much.

my main worry is that doing the hondata mods to the ecu will be pointless without the manifolds.

see from my research, it seems that my system currently would be around 98

my initial idea is to put the oem back box on for track work.

i cant see it effecting things too much.

my main worry is that doing the hondata mods to the ecu will be pointless without the manifolds.

You will get the most gains from the ECU than anything else, you could conceivably just do the ECU and still get decent gains. However because of the cost it makes sense to do the basic breather mods.

I wouldn't ever put a standard back box on a car that's been mapped with a different backbox.

Why bother anyway most tracks are 98db min. Caldwell was 102db.

Well there's my point, my n1 and bpipe is loud. I am assuming a race manifold would take it over the noise limit.

I think a k100 is on the cards at some point then.
In honesty, I think I will leave the manifolds.

It's your B pipe and N1 that's the issue not the manifold, they are mega loud on a standard manifold.

Get a DC5 header (4-2 &2-1) it won't make any more noise but it's a little better for gains.

I would imagine that the Spoon N1 and silenced 2.5 b-Pipe might be close to the limit of noise for track days. I was thinking of doing some trackdays and told to avoid the Spoon N1 but now I might not be doing any, then I am looking at getting a Spoon N1 and either the standard EP3 b-pipe or the DC5 b-pipe.

I strongly recommend a Mugen Twin loop. It's the perfect balance.

Up until the ring trip this year you would never have heard me say that.

I strongly recommend a Mugen Twin loop. It's the perfect balance.

Up until the ring trip this year you would never have heard me say that.

Get one quick as Mugen are stopping making them and the the price without VAT has gone up to £1400.

Been looking at it.
In honesty, it's the wrong time of year. If it wasn't so close to Christmas then I would have considered it.

Yeah fair enough, it still is expensive and wrong time of year but am having to work 24-7 to pay for it! will be worth it before any other mods too

Back