• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is it normal to be using half litre of oil every 2500 miles

i know K20 uses oil, but is it normal to use half litre after 2500 miles? I checked the oil level yesterday morning (car has only done 2500 miles since last service) and I used 500ml top up to get it back to top of dipstick. Car has only 49000 miles with full service history every 5k. I would give it a few vtec blasts every now and then but I dont thrash the living hell out of it daily. Is this normal oil consumption?

Yes it's normal. 1 litre every 1000 miles or so, some use more than that. Just keep it topped up and it'll be fine.

1 litre every 1k miles??? Mines is hardly using any then in comparison. I take it that consumption is when you are never out of vtec?? lol

what I've noticed is if you use thin oils like the silkolene pro s or whatever it's called now, the engine consumes this stuff like there's no tomorrow. But when you use the bog standard stuff that honda supplies (which imo is just as good) there is no real drop in levels at all between services.

^ Agree with that, since I started using 'the edge' I've started burning oil at about the same rate as the OP.

Back