• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is my Ep3 dead? Help needed

Hi Guys,

just need some advice please…

This last week I’ve noticed a whining / grinding noise coming from the aux area. Looking at some of the post and YouTube videos it appears the likely culprit is the idler pulley. I’ve order this and a PCV value too.

It gets worse…

On my way to work today I thought my aux belt split and come off due to the noise it was making and a strong burning smell started to come through. I pulled over as soon as I could and switched the engine off and opened the bonnet. To my horror the aux belt was still in tacked and in good condition!! I inspected the engine bay for anything obvious but couldn’t find anything.

I tried to start the car again and it won’t turnover. Plenty of power in the battery too.

I’m thinking it could be the timing chain has snapped but the car was running until I switched the engine off and there were no major bangs etc

im in the process of finding a decent garage before I call the AA. Any thoughts or advice please?

cheers

Could just be the pulley stopping completely and the belt burning on it. The resistance might be then physically stop it from turning over. Take the belt off and try to turn it by hand, it should spin very freely. Or try to turn the motor over with a wrench and see what the belts/that pulley is doing.... also if this were the case you would probably be able to spot some kind of evidence of slippage on the inside of the belt.

Or maybe starter motor not engaging/disengaging correctly. They make nasty grindy noises.

Could just be the pulley stopping completely and the belt burning on it. The resistance might be then physically stop it from turning over. Take the belt off and try to turn it by hand, it should spin very freely. Or try to turn the motor over with a wrench and see what the belts/that pulley is doing.... also if this were the case you would probably be able to spot some kind of evidence of slippage on the inside of the belt.

Or maybe starter motor not engaging/disengaging correctly. They make nasty grindy noises.

Thanks for the advice. You don’t think it’s the timing chain then?

You wouldn’t have been the one making the decision to shut the engine off it it was lol. Suppose it could have just slipped way out of timing if it was stretched already or the tensioner was goosed.

always hard to say over t’interwebs.

what happens exactly when you turn the key now?

You wouldn’t have been the one making the decision to shut the engine off it it was lol. Suppose it could have just slipped way out of timing if it was stretched already or the tensioner was goosed.

always hard to say over t’interwebs.

what happens exactly when you turn the key now?

forgot to mention that bit. It doesn’t start!

Yes, described what happens, Does the starter even try? Can you hear the solenoid click if not? More detail required.

i had something similar, it turned out to be the crank pulley, the rubber in the middle got dislocated. ugly sounds when happened, the belt was also slipping over the pulley since it got somehow stuck, but i don't remember having issues giving it a quick start.

Thanks for the replies all. Turned out to be a the idler pulley. Bearings literally obliterated, which must have been the sound I was hearing. The burning smell was the friction of the aux belt going round on the seized pulley.

New pulley and belt, back on the road!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back