• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is the Mugen airbox as good as the GruppeM?

You hear lots of good things about the GruppeM, but to be honest I don't like the air intake location, nor do I want to go chopping the scuttle panel in front of my windscreen or fit the inferior panel supplied with the kit. :x

How does the Mugen kit compare, and what is the maintenance required for the actual filter used in it? :roll: Does the air intake attach to both the pre-facelift and facelift grille?

Thanks for your help!

K19NE G said:
You hear lots of good things about the Gruppe, but to be honest I don't want to go chopping the scuttle panel in front of my windscreen nor fit the inferior panel supplied with the kit. :x

How does the Mugen kit compare, and what is the maintenanc required for the actual filter used in it? :roll:

If you go to the search facility and type Heat Soak.................................................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeyG said:
K19NE G said:
You hear lots of good things about the Gruppe, but to be honest I don't want to go chopping the scuttle panel in front of my windscreen nor fit the inferior panel supplied with the kit. :x

How does the Mugen kit compare, and what is the maintenanc required for the actual filter used in it? :roll:

If you go to the search facility and type Heat Soak.................................................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll try that then... I thought that would only apply to short ram kits...

The Mugen airbox is highly overpriced and underperforms beyond the imagination. :shock:

The OEM box is better than the Mugen for functionality although you will get a slight change in induction note with the Mugen fitted.

Having a Mugen airbox on a CTR is just a badge/label grabbing exercise. :lol:

GruppeM is the Daddy. 8)

The scuttle panel issue is a small and quite cheap sacrifice to make. :wink:

PM Liam (member CTR)...he has had both. :wink:

and I think we all know the answer... :twisted: :twisted:

Scousefella said:
The Mugen airbox is highly overpriced and underperforms beyond the imagination. :shock:

The OEM box is better than the Mugen for functionality although you will get a slight change in induction note with the Mugen fitted.

Having a Mugen airbox on a CTR is just a badge/label grabbing exercise. :lol:

GruppeM is the Daddy. 8)

The scuttle panel issue is a small and quite cheap sacrifice to make. :wink:

After doing a wee bit more research I see the Mugen isn't highly rated... I only asked as I saw a 2nd hand one... I miss the noise and extra kick I had when I had my Corolla T Sport with K&N Typhoon, but they are pants in a CTR apparently!!! :lol: The reason they are good in a T Sport is that the manifold is at the back of the engine and the filter located behind the headlight, so didn't suffer from heat soak... plus the choices are limited!

i have had both and contrary to what everyone says, the mugen does give gains but nowhere near as much as the gruppe m

Is the Mugen better than the Gruppe M? - No. End of.

Mugen isn't any better than the stock airbox in my experience of it. Just sounds slightly better when in the VTEC, but nothing like the way the Gruppe M howls. Gruppe M is the most proven out of all the induction kits available mate. If you want the best then buy it, simple as.

CTR said:
Is the Mugen better than the Gruppe M? - No. End of.

Mugen isn't any better than the stock airbox in my experience of it. Just sounds slightly better when in the VTEC, but nothing like the way the Gruppe M howls. Gruppe M is the most proven out of all the induction kits available mate. If you want the best then buy it, simple as.

Well that solves that!!! Pity I don't have the £480 to buy one right now... I've just got my Xmas bonus but that's going into the house deposit fund! :lol:

Right, shifting the attention elsewhere a bit... how does this kit (Injen CAI) compare to the AEM CAI?:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330061405817&fromMakeTrack=true
It seems to have a shorter route to the front bumper - does it fit a UK spec CTR??

Thanks for the input so far lads...

The Mugen doesn't provide the gains that a GruppeM does. But it does have its advantages, as its easier to fit without any modding to your scuttle panel.

I've had to remove my Mugen for some warranty work, and I'm missing it :cry:

I feel I'm lacking some of the mid range pull that I have become accustom to, and the noise change when hitting VTEC seems non-existent with the OEM compared to the Mugen.

So tomorrow I'll be freezing my bits off refitting my Mugen airbox:twisted:

The GruppeM is more expensive and harder to fit but provides the best gains.
Mugen airboxes can be found quite cheaply 2nd hand, or you go for the even cheaper AEM which produces gains very similar to the GruppeM, but has to be installed in the wheel arch which produces its own problems

Just my 2 pence worth.

K19NE G said:
Well that solves that!!! Pity I don't have the £480 to buy one right now...

£480 :shock:

I ordered mine direct from Gruppe M in Japan. It cost me £386 + £27 import charges. Gruppe M did not put the full value of the kit on the customs form, hence a nice light VAT charge. IIRC a few other members on here who ordered after I did had very similar charges.

Is £248 too much for the AEM CAI on eBay?

I've seen the AEM on eBay sold through sumopower for £240 plus £8 postage... is this a reasonable price, or can better deals be found? :?:

Re: Is £248 too much for the AEM CAI on eBay?

K19NE G said:
I've seen the AEM on eBay sold through sumopower for £240 plus £8 postage... is this a reasonable price, or can better deals be found? :?:

Average AEM V1 price (used) is £100-£120.

Not sure about price brand new.

To save you some searching, this is generally the accepted order of performance rating for the more popular filters.

1. Gruppe M
2. AEM CAI/ITG Maxogen
3. Icebox/Mugen/Injen CAI
4. AEM V2
5. K&N Typhoon
6. Hondata Modded OEM Filter/ITG Replacement Filter Element for Stock Filter.

R20190 said:
To save you some searching, this is generally the accepted order of performance rating for the more popular filters.

1. Gruppe M
2. AEM CAI/ITG Maxogen
3. Icebox/Mugen/Injen CAI
4. AEM V2
5. K&N Typhoon
6. Hondata Modded OEM Filter/ITG Replacement Filter Element for Stock Filter.

Oh yes the ITG maxogen Have had on for a while now & is awsome I chose over the gruppeM & glad I did Straight out the box on car no problems no pissing about Awsome kit

Im going for the gruppe m myself so dont shoot me for saying this, but a tuner up here that people from ireland etc come to him to get their car tuned. He had 220 break out of a jordan civic and after speaking to him he sounds like he knows his stuff.

So anyway he says he prefers the mugen, and the dyno does not give a fair representation of on the road as the fan is never gonna generate the air at high speed, he then started talking about ambient temperatures and vortexe's ect etc and I was lost.

Back