• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Is there too much oil in? Is it Damaging? See Picture **

Too much oil on the dipstick, Whats your reaction?

• Nah its alrite dude, it'll burn off

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Im afraid that could be slightly damaging if car is used past 3,500rpm, you need to drain some out!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Holllyyyyy Molllyyyy u numptyy, get that extra oil out NOWW!!

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Hi users of Type-R-Owners Forums!!!

Ive just bought an ep3, ive checked the dipstick and there seems to be too much oil. Have a look.

IMG_0612.JPG

How much shall i drain out? It is at least 1cm if not more above the upper marker.

Can this be damaging to the engine?

Thank you

It's hard to tell how much oil is in there as the rest of the dipstick is caked in oil.

Wipe it clean, the whole dipstick and give it another dip and post another photo of it :)

I did wipe it, it picks up oils from the side. :confused:

Fair doos, so is the oil up to here?

14d22fcf.jpg

I would say it'll be fine IMO.

check when cold on level ground and after a quick run for true measurement

NO!!!!

Run the car up to fully operating temperature.
Turn off the engine.
Allow to rest for 3 mins then check!

Then you get a TRUE reading of the oil level when it's at operating temp.

The dipstick is only a visual indication with no actual indication of true measurement. The amount of difference in expansion due to the oil being hot or cold is going to make next to no difference. Just keep the oil around the top dot and it'll be fine.

It's a better indication than a cold reading.

When all you have is a dipstick to indictate, it's as accurate as you will get

The hot vs cold reading can be quite different, dependant in vehicle. Believe.

I do agree but it's really not important if the oil is bang on the top dot or slightly above/below. All the oil once the engine is started sitting in the sump gets pumped around all the oil gallery's and splashed up the inners of the engine with an amount left in the sump. Give or take 1/2 a litre and it's not going to cause any damage whatsoever.

Oh. Thanks for the lesson Griff :)

Although I disagree on the 'give' part.

Too Much oil is baaaad mmmkay

For years and years I've always checked my oil when cold. As in over night cold. I feel this is when the most accurate reading is given.

I've never had any oil related problem with any of the 8 type r cars I've owned.

Oh. Thanks for the lesson Griff :)

Although I disagree on the 'give' part.

Too Much oil is baaaad mmmkay

It's not a lesson for you stoo. I know you know your stuff.

A tad too much won't cause a problem, a lot too much is bad news.

the top dot is there for a reason , its a guide of how much oil you should put it , personally i try to get it between min and max mark. wouldnt like to risk oil bursting through piston rings or seals , it may burn off ... but doesnt take long to jack car up and crack sump plug off and get a little out

Back