• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Issues with my ep3 gearbox

So I just recently bought a civic type r, and as my newbie post said I'm new to the whole side of fixing and modifying cars but eager to learn with some help
icon_biggrin.gif

short form of my story is...

I picked up my car a few weeks ago, guy said 3rd synchro was going on it. Managed to drive it a few hundred miles home in which 3rd was crunching to begin with and then I lost it completely. 4th was starting to crunch as well. Managed to get it MOT'd last week after putting on new headlights.

On the way back from the MOT place to put my car back into my mates garage the gearbox just went crazy and now it's completely gone screwy.It now has no gears except 3 and 4.. can't put it into any other gear, and the car is in a gear when in neutral... something seriously going on, and I also can no longer drive my car at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the hell is going on? What I can get my mate to check for me, or if it's a case of a whole new gear box? If it is the case of a new gearbox, my local breakers want £700/800 for a used one untested and unknown miles... does anyone else know of anywhere I could get one? Im located in the southern part of Scotland, 50miles south of Edinburgh. I'm willing to travel a little for one if that's the case, or I have a friend coming up from near London on Friday that could pick me one up on the way here...

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions
icon_smile.gif
as I'm clueless :p

Check there is nothing caught in the linkages, which are two cables that run to the top of the gearbox and you can see them once the airbox is removed. If there isn't anything caught in them and they are still attached, then yep it looks more serious.

Speak to Stevie at Grinspeed, details in the trader's section. He is a wizard with stripping and rebuilding gearboxes. Would probably work out cheaper than an unknown second hand one, and you'll know it's right. You could always take the box off, chuck it in the back of another car and drive the it down to him. He's based in Leyland near Preston, J28 M6. :smt023

Thanks I will be having a check at it tonight and keep you up dated with progress. If all else fails I will give stevie a call.

thanks so much for your reply :)

It just so happens I took photos of the linkages Loxy is talking about. This is the view behind the silver console around the gear lever, the cables attach to the shifter with the white plastic clips. They are disconnected in the first pic, green arrows in the second pic.

Under the airbox the connections are held on by split pins.

It's definitely worth having a look at those before anything else, you might be lucky! If that's not the problem then it looks like you'll need to get inside the box, which is not a small job unfortunately. I'd also recommend Grinspeed, they know the internals of a gearbox inside-out and backwards. The best garage I've been to around the central belt is Automek in East Kilbride.

That is absolute fabby. Thank yooooou sooo much. I'm just at the garage now so will defo get it looked at in a bit and hopefully have good news. If not I will call grinspeed. I will update shortly.

Thanks again for for the photos. You're a star :)

I'm just glad to have some assistance so overly appreciative :D
my new car friend didn't have much time to spend at his garage tonight but we looked under the bonnet but not the console.

We looked at it and nothing is jammed under the bonnet or anything... he tried to pull bits off under there and they were stuck. He says that there are two gears being selected at once which is why it won't come out...
I will make him look behind the console, if he can put up with my nonsense much longer ^_^ I only met him 2 weeks ago :p
So basically if there's nothing going on behind the console, a new gear box is needed. My options now are a cheap quick gearbox (managed to source one at £275) get mine sent away, which my new car buddy isn't too keen on since i'll have my civic stuck on his ramp till it's back, or an expensive upgrade.. (I also sourced a JDM one at £1300 *ouch*)

We also found while playing around inside that it has had a bump of some sort and he reckons it's not such a good thing and I should just repair the gearbox and sell it and then get another project car that hasn't had a bump. It's on the drivers side and pushed everything on the drivers side back under the bonnet and managed to put a slight crack in the windscreen right at the corner which we never even noticed before now. I've been on holiday and to mod nats so this is the first time I've had to play around with the car since buying it privately..having no experience of what the hell I'm doing it's turned rather stressful ^_^

thanks for the help soo much, now I need to decide what on earth I'm doing :p *pulls out hair*

That is very bad, it doesn't sound roadworthy, you may well need to scrap/break it. The gearbox issues are most likely a result of the crash.

If you bought it without being told about the crash damage i.e. in a roadworthy condition, get in touch with a lawyer or citizens advice before you do anything else.

I just had it MOT'd and got new headlights fitted... sigh...
I wasn't informed about the crash and will make an appointment to see a lawyer tomorrow and see what they say... till then I guess I have to drive my clio a bit longer and cry over not having a sexy car no more till this is all sorted, i guess I'm just trying to resist the fact i got screwed over and shall have to hunt for a better car... slightly depressing news i guess!

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear about it, there's some right ****s out there. I would definitely call citizens' advice first thing tomorrow, it's free and they'll tell you the best way to proceed.

I am amazed that you got it through an MOT with the damage you have described. It sounds to me like the seller and the MOT garage are at fault.

it was my first time buying privately (always bought from a dealer till now) so i guess the fact i didn't know any car people at the time of buying it, defo didn't help and i only looked so much at it...
surprised the MOT garage didn't say anything... just bleurgh! was all hyped up from modified nationals to come home to my sexy car and do it up some... it'll have to be put on hold till i get this sorted... at least this time i have some experience under my belt and will hopefully get a better car :D
plus i have been spying on some of the topics on here that some people have done to their cars so i can start a wish list early on *tee hee* :D

I feel for you, I've bought a couple of cars that turned out to be right dogs. Sometimes you're just plain unlucky, though experience does count for a lot.

When you are looking for another one (don't let this put you off EP3s!), there will be people from the forum nearby to help out. Member's cars go up for sale here from time to time too.

Thanks for the advice and support. Mucho appreciated :)
im not put off as such, more disheartened. Stress and effort I don't need but hopefully will resolve soon enough.
and thankfully I will have some guidance from you guys when the time comes to look for another :)

Back