• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

ITG Maxogen instead of Gruppe M/Tegiwa

CSB

Hello Guys,
I can get hold of an ITG Maxogen for a good price and was considering getting it. I understand that the Gruppe M is the best but the ITG Maxogen requires no scuttle panel cutting and is less noisy.
Anyone have any opinion on the ITG? I've read the PDF and it gets a good write up, just wondering if I'm making a mistake by not going the Gruppe M route?

Cheers,
CSB

It's a really good intake mate, if you can get it at a good price then that's a bonus.

It's a really good intake mate, if you can get it at a good price then that's a bonus.

I've heard it's not a loud induction, which is a bonus for me but I would like a bit more growl when VTECing. :evil: I know the Gruppe M makes a racket when you VTEC but does this one make any discernible difference to engine tone? Also, what are the realistic performance differences?

Cheers dude, just what I wanted to know. Fitting wise, I'm a computer techie and pull apart electronics but cars less so. As long as I can handle screws this shouldn't be a major problem for me to fit should it?

No not really, just make sure you are careful with the various connections along the intake pipe as some can break if you're too forceful with them.

On any intake. The gruppeM/tegiwa aren't that loud unless your on WOT and in VTEC, same as most induction kits really.

Are there any guides on Airbox removal on the net? Be good to know what I'm getting myself in for.

I completely agree, I love the roar and the Gruppe M sounds amazing on poorly shot phone camera videos on Youtube. :p I'm just not sure the area I live in would appreciate it quite as much.

Why? They won't hear it under normal driving it doesn't behave like an exhaust. The noise is dependant on your throttle position.

Are you trying to persuade me away from a Maxogen and towards a GM/Tegiwa? The rigmarole of modding the panel and the costs are putting me off and from reading, there's little more to gain.

I bought my ITG Maxogen 3 years ago (when I had my CTR) can't fault it at all, I totally agree with Chris, it's a good piece of kit.....and thats not me being biased I really do approve of it. The kit has had many good reviews with healthy gains being shown on the dyno runs, induction noise is good, not that much louder than oem but like you this is what i wanted so hence the reason i bought it, now it's on my DC5 and she's loving it!!!

Is it worth replacing the intake pipe while I'm there? Any gain other than engine bay looks?

The standard intake pipe can crack on the inner bend, something like an SFS hose will be stronger and less susceptible to this. It's quite a rare occurrence on the standard part though, but it still happens.

Thought i would just add my opinion, i have the itg maxogen intake and also can't fault it. I had a dyno run the other week and pulled a 199.3 (197 standard) and considering mine is almost 10 years old and high milage, its not done to bad (car is standard apart from intake and b-pipe). The noise i think is perfect, i did have a bmc which had a much louder sucking sound, but the gains were crap. The noise is barely noticeable when driving normal but when you put your foot down, its got a nice low end growl :D Can definitely recommend :)

Thought i would just add my opinion, i have the itg maxogen intake and also can't fault it. I had a dyno run the other week and pulled a 199.3 (197 standard) and considering mine is almost 10 years old and high milage, its not done to bad (car is standard apart from intake and b-pipe). The noise i think is perfect, i did have a bmc which had a much louder sucking sound, but the gains were crap. The noise is barely noticeable when driving normal but when you put your foot down, its got a nice low end growl :D Can definitely recommend :)

A low end growl when in vtec is what I was looking for, would like to get more than a couple bhp though. Is such little gain expected?

Back