• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jacks/Tools EP3

I'm a new owner of my first EP3 Type R and looking to get together some basic bits of kit so I can do minor little jobs to the car myself! One of my first jobs is an oil change! So basically I'm wondering what sort of kit everyone else has? Socket sets/Breaker/Jacks/Stands etc... I'm not looking to spend loads on it as like I said it will only be for minor jobs as I'm fairly limited with regards to my knowledge of it all, but I want to learn and pick bits up! If someone could point me in the right direction or link me to any bits I'd be really grateful! I've seen Halfords currently have a few bits on offer but obviously I've got no experience with these so unsure of quality and durability!

Also what oil does everyone run on? Difference of opinion everywhere I look, some say 5w30 others say 5w40? Isn't 5w40 better to run in the summer months? Since the car was last serviced its covered just over 4000 miles so I'm looking to get it changed within the next 1.5/2000! Thanks! :)

For DIY go for something like halfords professional. Good price and all guaranteed. Not worth getting anything more expensive when you’re not in the trade.
Majority use 5w40 and there’s not much difference between this and 5w30. Just make sure it’s a good quality brand of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus 1 for a Halfords pro set. The 150 or 170 piece (can't remember what I've got exactly) has enough kit in it for most jobs. A cheap torque wrench from Screwfix is handy as are axle stand and a low profile trolley jack to get under any low cars etc. Just build your collection up bit by bit mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have accumulated a fair amount of tools to work on my car over the years. The majority of them are Halfords Advanced as they come with a lifetime warranty.

I also applied for a Halfords trade account so i get a fair chunk off of the shelf price. Have a look and see if you apply to get a trade card.

I would buy an oil filter removal tool as the filter can be a pain in the arse to get off sometimes.

5w40 oil for me. Euro car parts have some good deals with 30-40% off most weekends. Thats where i bought my last oil, Shell Helix 5w40.

Back