• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM-ARB fitting problem.

Hey Everyone.

Dad and I decided to give the fitting of the JDM anti-roll bar a go this afternoon. But we got stuck - big time :|

The nut that connects the ARB to the link-rod would not budge off the bolt. - well, it did, but only half way before seizing up. The allen-key hole in the bolt head is too rusted up to get any sort of purchase with an allen-key or torx-head rachet bit that Dad had.

Also, mole-grips could not grip the bolt hard enough in order to spanner the nut off. The bolt-thread was starting to get damaged and would have made assembly harder. A pre-soak in WD-40 was done before work started. And this was only one bolt!

So, instead of having to butcher the bits off and buy a new set of link-rods and bolts, does anybody have any suggestions please?

We've discussed heating the nut up but don't fancy it too much due to the petrol tank being so close by. :)

Going to Honda? Mega-bucks I reckon...

Butcher he existing rods and buy a new set?

Leave it all alone and sell the JDM-ARB :cry:

To provide a bit of consolation, the Carbing tie-bar went on nice and easy. You do have to watch out for the lower arms falling out of the casing but they can be easily supported. Air-gun rachets are our friends in screwing big bolts ;)

Any help would be gratefully received. :D

Jay..

Jay I had the same problem. What I did was to spray loads of wd40 on the nut and leave it 30 mins.

Also I hammered the allan key to the only place it would bite and finally moved it all.

Hope that helps if not get me on msn

I used a wire brush set from halfords (look like toothbrushes) to clean all the shite off the allen key hole, then left it in WD40 for a while before coming back for more.

It took me about 90 mins altogether just to get the two end bolts off, really was a big effort.

Hope this helps you mate.

Once you have got it on check after a couple of days the nuts are still tight as I heard a noise today from mine and they have worked loose

Carl

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advice so far.

I'll start an intensive spray down of both bolts over the next two days and brush out all the rust that is sitting in the allen key holes. Hopefully, the molegrips will not have damaged the bolt threads too much as to prevent the nut from coming off.

I will keep you informed of my efforts. :D

Jay..

update: I contatced Honda and got a price for new drop link-rods - £122 for a set. So, I'm leaving the hacksaw well alone...

:-s

back to the WD-40...

Jay..

dragonflyjade said:
update: I contatced Honda and got a price for new drop link-rods - £122 for a set. So, I'm leaving the hacksaw well alone...

:-s

back to the WD-40...

Jay..

I got mine fitted by Tom at TGM yesterday, ended up having two new drop links as Tom couldn't get them off so had to cut, only paid £20 for them though. 8)

I've heard many good things about TGM... it's a shame I'm up in Derby, 170 miles away..

I wonder if TDi North, Warrington could help? Time for a Monday morning 'phone call.

Jay..

Mine seized as well, sprayed them up loads left them for 30 mins then attacked the bolts with a wire brush. It helps if you use a good quality allen key, I used a snap on socket with 5mm allen and it worked fine.

Doing the front next week and I presume it is the same ??

I've had to buy new droplinks - Anglo-Japanese Motor Factors in Derby had them going for £90 which is alot better than the £120 that Lookers wanted. The droplinks are made by a Japanese suspension company who sell to Honda so no difference in goods.

I'll be using this little motor factors place for all my buying as the gentlemen behind the counter was really helpful - big shop-unit full of shelves which were just full of stuff. He managed to get the links down from Sheffield within five hours which I thought was really good customer service. ;)

Anyway, I'll be fitting my ARB later on this month as an accident has put my baby into the bodyshop. :(

I'll keep you guys informed.

Jay..

Back