• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM front end conversion for 98 UK spec

I'm in the process of buying my teg at the moment, but was a little disappointed I couldn't get hold of a JDM, not least to say the difference in insurance. Needing a car as well, just couldn't wait any more. I've seen that this conversion isn't impossible, but kits only seem to be on sale in the states, and there isn't much information available on how this conversion is done. Does anyone have any experience/know anyone who has actually done this conversion? Just wanted to know how difficult it is to actually do this yourself. London Bodyshops are few and far between and charge an absolute fortune for this sort of work, so would be looking to do this myself over a period of time.

My main worry is how extensive the conversion actually is hanging and welding panels is fine, even spraying is fine and electrical fine. My biggest concern is if any part of this conversion requires the engine being taken off any mounts (do not have a crane and do not have level ground to work on (can't hire 1) I couldn't see why this would need to be done, but really looking for someone who either knows, or has done this conversion to give me a step by step run down of exactly whats involved, how long its likely to take, (estimating 2 weeks - 1 month around work) and where the heck to actually buy the conversion kit from in the first place. I understand the bonnet, radiator supports, front bumper and both wings come in the kit (probably missed a few things) but these kits only seem to be available in the States.

any ideas/thoughts greatly appreciated.

ITR-DC2 forum has quite a few cases where people have had a go at this mate. From memory it's wings, bonnet and some mods to the slam panel etc but I don't think any need to take the engine out. Don't take my word for it though!

Have to say though, and this isn't me being a dick, but why do you want to do it? just for looks?

I wonder if the subsequent insurance hike would put costs near what it would be for a full JDM in the first place.

I wonder if the subsequent insurance hike would put costs near what it would be for a full JDM in the first place.

After I hit a sheep in my DC2 I replaced the front with a JDM front end, and it made little difference with the insurance.

And to make it work, you'll need bonnet, wings, bumper, entire front slam panel and you'll need to re-wire the headlights.

Im not sure on the difference it'd make to insurance, this is hypothetical at the moment in the first place. And Yes, purely for aesthetics - I know some people love em, but I just do not like those quad lights - if it were any easier to change the cluster, I'd even consider that (though that'd look pretty crap). My last car was a 91 CRX VT, I've always preferred those style lights. Itisn't just about the lights anyway though, I genuinely like the look better - I have the money to go for a JDM, but the insurance is almost DOUBLE for me, so even with the mods, I'd be impressed if it was as much as a full JDM. The lights though were not enough to put me off the car though, they are fantastic driver's cars and I'd even put up with the lights just to enjoy the experience - it'd be something I'd look to do long term though. Cheers for the links btw, will have a read

After I hit a sheep in my DC2 I replaced the front with a JDM front end, and it made little difference with the insurance.

A pleasant surprise. Normally I'd expect to pay through the nose, but then I guess they're proper Honda parts rather than aftermarket.

Mine was a JDM until I hit a vole. Then I replaced it with an entire UKDM front end.

I hit that vole on purpose.

Back