• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

JDM import number plate size??...

Ive read and been told that on the front of Import cars (not sure ifits just japanese or others?) that you can have a much smaller sized number plate.

Anybody know what actualy size your allowed?
Isit just the front your allowed to have smaller or the rear aswell?

thanks scott :thumbup:

Ive just read it, but looking at SUIT's import S2K he has a smaller plate on the front?
Was just wondering?

my number plate showed below passed an MOT in February with my plates on.
But then i got a ticket left on my car the other night/morning at 5:30am by some jobsworth copper?

The ticket said i wasn't allowed a square plate and the letters are the wrong size?
Ive rung and wrote a leeter to the people who do the tickets and said i was allowed a square plate as it was an import, but i have no case with the lettering sizes EVEN if it did pass an MOT with them on :scratch:

I bought the car from N.I and alot of their cars have this style font, i know im not in N.I but ifit passed the MOT i thought it was fine?

012.jpg

Post September 2001

Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm.Inter-character gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font.

Once again these regulations apply to number plates FITTED after September 2001 .So your car could be 1974 but it would still need to comply IF THE NUMBER PLATES ARE CHANGED.

It has never been legal to use screws etc to alter the appearance of the characters on the plate and the only other option when buying them is the EU emblem with a national flag e.g. Saltire.

To make all this enforceable every number plate suppliers must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency and must show his name and post code on each number plate he supplies.

In addition you must supply proof of I.D.when buying plates ( preferrably a photocard driving licence ) and also proof that the number is yours( V5 registration document ( log book) , V750 (pink) or V778 (green) certificate for the registration number, V11 vehicle licence renewal, or V948).

The supplier must keep records of all the above and make them available to the police if requested

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive read on DC5 forum were allowed 64x44mm sized font/digits.

I know mine are illegal on the car now, but im buying a personalised plate and just wondering what size number plate i should get.

Anyone got a picture of a UK sized long plate on the back of a Champ White CTR, rather than a square 1?

No
As long as the letter sizes are correct and the spacing is correct, you can have a square plate if you want..

CHeers, may get one for the rear, where is the best place to source one, would search, but it won't search for 3 characters.,. Found this thread via google lol

the smaller plate rule is allowed because it's not possible to fit a UK plate in the smaller space on most JDM cars, your car clearly has enough space for a UK plate, ironic seeing as it was made here.

my advice is get a normal UK plate then all will be fine :)

the smaller plate rule is allowed because it's not possible to fit a UK plate in the smaller space on most JDM cars, your car clearly has enough space for a UK plate, ironic seeing as it was made here.

my advice is get a normal UK plate then all will be fine :)
Hold on, got a uk ep3, woud a square plate fit lol

Back