• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Jumping about / losing power

sorry my explenation was a bit crap, there are 2 bolts that you unscrew on the silver cover to remove it that pass through and tighten down into the 2 missing bolt holes :)

Oh I see.. it was dark! damn :( I thought I had found the problem :/

It may be a coil pack, these things do happen but the cheapest way to determin it is to do what i last posted about swapping them around. if it continues to blacken on the same plug after swapping them then it may be something to do with the connector on that coil pack or the loom leading to the pack. if the position of the plug moves then it will be a coil pack.

although it sounds like the garage you used do poor work we can't rule out there diagnosis.

good luck :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/02-HONDA-...PACK-K20-A2-DENSO-/250867893213#ht_1528wt_689

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP3-Civic..._CarParts_SM&hash=item43adcd85d8#ht_518wt_689

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try swapping them around for sure! Probably tomorrow ill let you know how I get on. Just seems so odd that it was sweet as a nut before I took it to the garage.

My Civic is 255bhp so do you think the extra power could have knackered them out quicker?

If I replace them ill probably get new ones but thanks for the links bud, you have been a great help!

It may be a coil pack, these things do happen but the cheapest way to determin it is to do what i last posted about swapping them around. if it continues to blacken on the same plug after swapping them then it may be something to do with the connector on that coil pack or the loom leading to the pack. if the position of the plug moves then it will be a coil pack.

although it sounds like the garage you used do poor work we can't rule out there diagnosis

good luck :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/02-HONDA-...PACK-K20-A2-DENSO-/250867893213#ht_1528wt_689

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EP3-Civic..._CarParts_SM&hash=item43adcd85d8#ht_518wt_689

Just taken the coil packs / spark plugs out again and all 4 of them look quite sooty :(

Quick question. Is your air flow sensor plugged in or dirty? It's located between your air filter and throttle body, in the pipe.

no its not mate. I just started it up on tickover and left it running for a few mins and now its smoking out of the exhasut.. not much but it is :(

No it's not... plugged in?

Black plugs are caused from over fuelling or loss of spark. It runs ok when it's cold so it must have a good spark. It's as if the ecu isn't being told the engine is hot and is pumping in fuel as it thinks it's still cold (choke).

Is I think it could be...

Air flow sensor, the car thinks lots of air is going in so it's compensating by stuffing loads of fuel through.

Ecu temp sensor, thinks its still cold so effectively it's keeping the choke open.

Crank shaft sensor, confusing the ecu and trying to compensate again with more feul.

Smokey exhaust is because of the over feulling and it's coking up and spitting it out the exhaust.

Is your temp gauge slightly different to where it normally sits?

No it's not... plugged in?

Black plugs are caused from over fuelling or loss of spark. It runs ok when it's cold so it must have a good spark. It's as if the ecu isn't being told the engine is hot and is pumping in fuel as it thinks it's still cold (choke).

Is I think it could be...

Air flow sensor, the car thinks lots of air is going in so it's compensating by stuffing loads of fuel through.

Ecu temp sensor, thinks its still cold so effectively it's keeping the choke open.

Crank shaft sensor, confusing the ecu and trying to compensate again with more feul.

Smokey exhaust is because of the over feulling and it's coking up and spitting it out the exhaust.

Is your temp gauge slightly different to where it normally sits?

Wow! sounds like you know your stuff! its an AEM Long Arm induction. And there was no sensor plugged in!
I completly understand what you are saying and makes sense. Maby the garage forgot to plug the sensor back in?
I also have a Hondata ecu

I took the car to Honda Chippenham and they are going to have a look at it and im not 100% sure on the temp gauge

When driving to chippenham the car was fine below 2000 rpm.

Cheers again for all the help, really appreciated :)

Update for anyone thats interested:

Basically Honda spent an hour changing spark plugs / trying new coil packs / plugging it into the computer etc and diddent find anything, They phoned the garage in Westbury questioned them about the work they did. What they had done seemed fine (apart from them telling me to buy new coil packs)

So I get a call from Honda and they said they think it must be contaminated fuel and that I should run it down to the red and top it up.. So thats what I did and the car is now running sweet as a nut :) Best bit is Honda diddent charge me a penny for the time they spent looking at the car! Brilliant service

Contaminated fuel, How odd. Where did you last fill up? Perhaps inform them of they're fuel.

Great to hear its back to normal, that's real good of Honda to not charge you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Contaminated fuel or I ran it so low before I filled up I must have sucked some crap through (probably the latter)

OK so has been running sweet the past week and its just started doing it again.. mind = blown, wtf could this be!!!

You can't suck crap out of the tank.

The fuel filter catches it.

Have you read for any fault Codes?

Honda couldent read any fault codes. car is running sweet again now.. Confused!!!
I put some redex through to see if that does anything and Im going to get the injectors properly cleaned just to be sure its not them

Back