• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Just bought EP3, 2 things, interior lights & whining?

Hi guys, just bought a 54 plate EP3 in Satin Silver, lovely car :) And largely all perfect!

A couple of quick questions if possible.

1) Simply, is there a way to get the front interior lights to come on with the doors open etc, or is it literally just the rear light which does that? Quirky if so!

2) I noticed a whining going through the gears steadily. It seemed worse in 4th. The gearbox oil was not long done with good quality fully synth stuff, I have the receipt somewhere. But, I noticed it does it in neutral too... a friend suggested alternator or the alternator belt/tensioner. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it is common? I don't think it's the gearbox (I hope!) as it works beautifully, not notchy, no problems selecting gears at all.

Thanks all, got so much to learn about these cars!

Dave

Not sure difficult to diagnose. Have you tried checking the obvious ones? Check the ivtec intake cover isn't rubbing against your intake manifold. Also could be a loose heat shield under the car.

Oh and gearbox oil = OEM Honda always.

If it does it in neutral it's a pretty safe bet that it isn't gearbox related. Could just be the belt/pulleys getting a bit worn out/polished. Does the belt look tired?

Interior lights - nope, I've often wondered why they don't come on myself.

Well it only seems to do it with some revs, but I've not tried, good shout - I will check incase its the release bearing :)

I think I've got the same noise, it's driving me nuts since someone mentioned possible gearbox bearings. I'm going to TGM on 12th for Tom to have a listen and hopefully tell me what it is and how much its going to cost.

The only way I can describe it is almost a supercharger whine but quite and only on acceleration?

Thats pretty much it. I don't want to scare myself into thinking its a gearbox problem... as the box feels great to use, not notchy, really positive changes. No 2nd gear issues or anything.

Only other issue I have is a squeaky front passenger brake, but it's had new disks and pads all round (Mintex I believe) so maybe the caliper wasn't wound back enough.

I haven't really heard any rattling or anything like that but yes a bit of a supercharger whine sound, relatively quiet and mainly on acceleration (steadily as my exhaust drowns it out otherwise), more prominent in 4th though :-S so hoping it is alternator belt/pully related and it's just louder in that gear due to engine load...

So am I, I really don't want it to be gearbox but I'm getting Tom to check it out just to be on the safe side. I hope it's a alternator belt / pully which is what I originally thought it would be. I've not got any gear change problems either, box feels fine to me. I'd rather pay a bit of money now to know it's nothing serious than believe it's nothing serious and end up with a massive bill when something pops.

The ex's Alfa had a big gear box issue over the summer and it definitely sounds nothing like that thank god.

That sounds like the noise from the chain cam. Quite normal! Sort of like a mild supercharger whine. Nothing to worry about!

I'm with ya Herbert, I'm gonna pay to get a full inspection done on mine, I don't mind splashing out 40 quid for peace of mind or at least to know where I need to direct my money initially. Although it's got good history and the last owner had it 3 and a half years, it's still an unknown quantity to me!

Let me know how you get on, I will update on here also.

If it is "normal" then thats good news! lol, but I will get it checked, I am pretty picky/paranoid at the best of times and wanna be able to know I can use the car as intended with a bit of vtec y0 and know nothing will go bang :)

I've got this noise and it's being looked at today! Been told its the heat shield and nothing major so fingers crossed, also looking at the Dave posts on here I have exactly the same issues as yours, I bought this car and I also have a squeaky brake and the whiney noise on 2-3rpm I will let you know the outcome

Yeah keep me updated Maz, keep in touch. My mechanic has a CTR and his has the same noise, he says its been like it for 5 years and he can't find out what the cause is, never got any worse, never driven any worse and he's done about 2000 track miles in his car, nurburgring etc, baffled sump to hammer round the bends and had no issues apart from the mild whine.

My front brake pads are being removed and refitted tomorrow and calipers cleaned up a little for me so hopefully that will solve the brakes, think mechanic said a backplate wasnt sitting right on one of the pads or something hence squeaking a bit.

Will let you know how I get on :)

Just turned 63k dotty.

Today I had a coolant change and my front brake pads removed, cleaned, calipers cleaned and all refitted/regreased. A metal plate (back plate?) which sits on the back of one of the pads wasn't quite clipped on properly which must have been causing the squeaking.

All fixed now :)

Whine is still there however, sounds like a pulley, not too bad... but will dip the clutch when I go out later in neutral and listen, keep forgetting to try.

If its still on the original clutch then I'm guessing a clutch change will sort that whine out ;)

I'm guessing it's original, nothing in the paperwork to suggest otherwise...

I'd sort that eventually anyway, whats a common price for a clutch, any good cheap upgrades about also? Sure I've heard exedy stage one or something mentioned? :)

Don't mess about with stage one clutches unless running over 300bhp

Check the traders sections. Hendy Honda do a discount on the standard clutches, which is what I recently had fitted, if you're near Tgm they supply and fit the standard clutch for around £400. :)

Are you having any trouble shifting at high rpm? Common clutch wear signs. The release bearing will squeal when it's on it's way out, it does it in neutral too. What is your location?

I'm in Stoke-on-Trent, West Midlands. No trouble with any gear changes, all feels very good, no real notchyness even when cold (which seems rare lol).

How much would a Honda clutch kit be on it's own, just the parts? Are there good online shops for Honda bits or is it usually main dealer on these cars? I've had VW's and Vauxhalls previously, quite a few online stores to get good prices from.

EDIT: Just found this, and this place in general, is this a good place to bookmark for price ideas? http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genu...9.html?zenid=3fa67c8a35c350ece09b7de9e0161da2

Back