• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Just some advice needed on the Enkei Evo 8 Wheels?

Hi all,

Soon to be purchasing some rather nice Enkei Evo 8 wheels, I have heard that they fit well and shouldn't have any problems. But still it would be nice if someone officially back it up off this forum :lol:. Also heard that I need to get the Evo 8 Lug nuts, would this be true?

Cheers

Yes you will need to purchase Mitsubishi wheel nuts as well as some Spigot Rings so that the wheels sit centre on the hub. As the Evo wheels have a slightly larger diameter hole in the middle of the wheel than your civic ones.

You can get spigot rings for cheap on eBay, you just need to know the sizes. Not sure of them off the top of my head. Unsure why you would need them though.

Do you maybe have any links to where i could buy them?

eBay this: KIT (4) HUB CENTRIC RINGS 64.1 mm TO: 67.1 mm

Spigot rings are not only to ensure the wheel is central on the hub, preventing wobble. Its main job is to fill the gap between hub and wheel centre so its the actual hub supporting the weight of the car. If there is a gap, the weight of the car is support by the studs themselves which they are not designed to do and can break. :evil:

If there is a gap, the weight of the car is support by the studs themselves which they are not designed to do and can break. :evil:
If spiggot rings were essential, they'd come as standard on all cars. Honda OEM wheels don't exactly sit flush on the hub.

If spiggot rings were essential, they'd come as standard on all cars. Honda OEM wheels don't exactly sit flush on the hub.

If the centre bore is very different between hub and wheel, spigot rings are a pretty important feature. OEM wheels wouldn't need them as the centre bore matches between hub and wheel.

That's the thing Nick, I think Evo wheels are nigh on the same as standard EP3 ones.

I'd still want to have them fitting as well as they could, for the sake of a few quid it seems a no brainer to me?

I bought a set of evo 6 wheels for my evo 8 off a lad with an EP3 a few years ago. They came with spiggot rings and I had no idea what they were so threw them away :)

I'd still want to have them fitting as well as they could, for the sake of a few quid it seems a no brainer to me?

I could be talking **** but I've definitely read you need to replace them if you take the wheels off after a decent period of use. They crack or degrade or something. A few quid every time could be a pain in the arse.

Yeah I have bought some, think they cost me just under a fiver... So it's no real biggie whether they are needed or not. I'd rather have them, I'd rather be safe than sorry! :lol:

Spigot rings are essential.
End of. More so when using wheels with a larger centrebore than standard.

Wheel bolts/studs aren't designed to take shear loads. That's the job of the lip on the hub. If there is no spigot and the centrebore is larger than the hub, premature failure of wheel bolts/studs can occur. And you don't want that.

They also help to align the wheel centrally on the hub so that the wheel runs true, without undue vibrations.

As for your lug nuts, you will need some that have the same taper or radius as the seat in the evo Wheels.

Stick a wanted advert up on the MLR.
Loads of guys change their wheels and need to buy new nuts.
Damn sight cheaper than those!

Did you get these wheels fitted mate? Been looking at sets of evo 9 wheels and wanted to know how they fit and if there is any rubbing etc. pics would be nice see how they sit at different angles.

Too be honest if you've got good suspension I doubt you'd have any problems at all, unlike me with stock and more than two people in the car it scrapes like a bitch. That's why I've resulted for the time being ( doing this weekend ) of removing back seats so no-one can get in my car, not for weight reduction :). But with stiffer suspension you'll be fine. Obviously I have the Evo 8 wheels and don't have a clue on the dimensions on the Evo 9 wheels but yeah mine are fine and look the nuts.

Bit busy this week with work but giving the car good clean this weekend and will take some photo's for you then. If your South East way going down to lakeside this Saturday if your there.

Back