• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

K-Pro Info - Really Really Confused

Right, i've been reading this section for over an hour now to answer all the questions i've got concerning getting my CTR remapped with a Cat-Back and AEM V1 kit fitted. :confused::confused:

So far i've had some luck and some not. I think i've answered my question then i read on and it confuses me more.

Please could someone answer me these questions just so i'm clear:

1. Can you install a K-Pro yourself?

2. Can you edit a map yourself?

3. Where do you buy them from?

4. How long does fitting take?

5. What's the deal with the downloadable maps i think i've read about?

6. Anyone know of any tuner places (eg. Artech) that sell and map the K-Pro in the Cheshire sort of area?

7. Is it anything like a Bluefin unit or Dreamscience us Fiesta ST tuners used to work with (ie. plugs into the diagnostics port in the cabin)??

Mega sorry to repeat questions that have probably been asked over and over but i just can't read on anymore. Nothing's going into my head now. :eek:

Thanks to anyone who has the time to write back and answer a thread that is more than likely a repeat.

Cheers, Matt.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22371 is a good read.

Since you're in Cheshire, buy a KPro from TDI North and get it mapped by them. Either that or buy one second hand on the forums. You'll need to exchange your ECU for it since the KPro is a board that attaches onto your ECU. Since you have no experience, I would not even think about mapping it yourself.

No worries. Give them a ring tomorrow, they're great. If Paul isn't busy, he'll tell you all you need to know. After a fast road setup, it's the best mod IMO, plus you get more miles per tank on long slogs.

If you are planning on buying a manifold and other performance mods, get them first, and have them all fitted at the same time as the KPro otherwise it'll cost you each time you get it mapped.

No worries. Give them a ring tomorrow, they're great. If Paul isn't busy, he'll tell you all you need to know. After a fast road setup, it's the best mod IMO, plus you get more miles per tank on long slogs.

If you are planning on buying a manifold and other performance mods, get them first, and have them all fitted at the same time as the KPro otherwise it'll cost you each time you get it mapped.

Well i wasn't thinking of doing anymore performance mods other than such things as suspension and visual stuff etc.

Would TDI do a map to my car included in the K-Pro price or would it just be for the ECU?

I'm thinking a fast road setup, brakes and K-Pro then i'm done spending money. Lol!!!

By the way Chris, read that K-Pro link, really helped. The reflash sounds good but doesn't give you the added satisfaction of having a custom map/map that's nigh on perfect for the mods you have.

By the way Chris, read that K-Pro link, really helped. The reflash sounds good but doesn't give you the added satisfaction of having a custom map/map that's nigh on perfect for the mods you have.

The reflash is a bit outdated now. The two Hondata options are the Kpro, and the K100. The Kpro is fully mappable, with data logging capabilities and so on. The K100 is not user mappable, it can only be mapped by a tuner and is more of a fit and forget item for the owner, although it can be remapped by a tuner if you need it to be. The K100 is essentially a Kpro without a USB port and the ability to data log and is therefore a fair chunk cheaper.

Hmmm...so if i were to get all my mods done and then get the k100, it'd just update the ECU and be done with it. Where as the K-Pro, i could put it on now, add more mods eventually and then map again (in theory) or tinker with it myself - if i had any idea what i was doing.

Hmmm...so if i were to get all my mods done and then get the k100, it'd just update the ECU and be done with it. Where as the K-Pro, i could put it on now, add more mods eventually and then map again (in theory) or tinker with it myself - if i had any idea what i was doing.

It's still mapped by the tuner, like a Kpro would be, but it removes the ability to remap or tweak yourself, and the data logging. If you've got all your planned mods and aren't going to go any further and throw on a K100 then it'll be mapped to your car then and you can just let it be. If you change the mods again it will need to be remapped just like a Kpro by a tuner. If you're not interested in doing any of it yourself or the data logging then a K100 is a pretty good option if you want to save some cash.

Added bonus with the K-Pro is they all go for similar money second hand and if you pick one up there's not much chance of loosing out on any money if you decide to go back to standard. There's only so many mods you can do to the civic without spending serious money and most of them are from only a few manufacturers. From the time i've been on the forums i've noticed that most parts seem to have an average selling price and there's always someone on the hunt for what you have. Quite good in a way as there's not much chance of getting ripped off price wise.

K-pro as already mentioned gives you the user the ability to change any of the parameters at any time and load any pre-made map. I've did that myself after changing the induction to a Gruppe M and loading the Hondata tuned map. It's also saved me a mapping session and round trip from Aberdeen to TDI when i fit my RBC/header/exh as i know someone else with the same setup and have a copy of their map which was done by one of the well know mappers in the country. I'll either just load it straight onto the K-Pro directly or just edit all the parameters myself to match. Data logging is also quite handy for making tweaks to the map if you are knowledgeable about all the different parameters involved within a map. There's also plenty of help and advice on the forums to guide you on this if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for all the info guys, really clearing my mind up now. Defo doing it but might wait to get a mani first then do the K-Pro/K100.

With regards to a mani, I wouldn't spend the extra on a Toda (unless you're chasing numbers), the DC Sports mani is within a few BHP of the Toda and costs a good deal less and still has excellent build quality.

Bear in mind if you get a full mani, you'll have to put the standard cat back on come MOT time or you'll fail the emissions these.

With regards to a mani, I wouldn't spend the extra on a Toda (unless you're chasing numbers), the DC Sports mani is within a few BHP of the Toda and costs a good deal less and still has excellent build quality.

Bear in mind if you get a full mani, you'll have to put the standard cat back on come MOT time or you'll fail the emissions these.

Could i not get one with a sports cat or are we talking mega money?

Might not be worth doing it then. Can't be bothered replacing the CAT just for 2 hours of a year.

Why's that dotty?

They're a good exhaust. Had one on my ST and on the CTR. Definite difference in power on both cars.

Trust me, there's a lot better out there. ;)

Could i not get one with a sports cat or are we talking mega money?

Might not be worth doing it then. Can't be bothered replacing the CAT just for 2 hours of a year.

Mani with a sport cat will be expensive, last I looked, over £1000. It'll cost you £30 or so at a garage once a year to change to your mani over for your cat. Have your MOT done, then change back. Not a biggy IMO and well worth it.

Why's that dotty?

They're a good exhaust. Had one on my ST and on the CTR. Definite difference in power on both cars.

Well, personally I would go with a decent and proven gains system but fair one if you feel a difference.

You can get systems with sports cats but they are £££!

Best option is get a race header (Toda/DC sports) fitted and get friendly with your local MOT tester ;)

Or get a Spoon 4-2 and 2-1 then when MOT comes replace the spoon 2-1 with an OEM DC5/JDM CTR 2-1 which has the CAT attached to it.

The OEM DC5/JDM CTR Manifold is in two parts a 4-2 section and a 2-1 with the 2-1 having the Cat attached to it, whereas the UK CTR has a 4-1 manifold as standard with a seperate CAT.

It is also worth looking in to getting an RBC manifold which improves mid range torque.
As I mentioned elsewhere, hoard parts then get them all fitted at once with a mapping session.

Pics:

JDM EP3/DC5 standard 2-1 section with CAT.

170720091250.jpg

JDM 4-2 and 2-1

170720091251.jpg

RBC inlet manifold.

(RBC on the left and JDM inlet manifold on the right, the JDM inlet manifold is slightly better than the UK one)

2009-08-22_09-44-40_220820091344.jpg

RBC fitted.

2009-08-05_11-42-12_050820091303.jpg

Sports cat is serious coin. Cat back might take you an hour to replace.

Is that one of Bren's rocker covers? Looks like a job well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back