• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

k20a2 timing tensioner replacement

Hey all I'm looking to replace my tensioner on my ep.3 with the OEM parts. Is this a big job. The parts alone are 100 quid.... Any input would be of great help. Thanks taylor.....

It's just very awkward, have you not got the Workshop manual ?? If not I would strongly suggest you get one.

I think I will let my tuner replace it if its that tricky..... Would I just purchase the tensioner and the locating pin with the 2 fixing bolts. That seems to be all that's listed to replace it. Don't want to spend on parts I don't need the chain is fine no rattle on start up but its covered 90 thousand now. And its well looked after service wise.......

had a word with a chap in honda and he said to me that they have never changed a chain in a ep3 they should run the life of the car, its just kids on a owners site.
but im 30 and had to change the chain wen I changed the tensioner and then proceeded to tell him about my tensioner and how it was locked in place. I tryed it in a vice
and could not get it to move in or out. his face was a picture with his dumb look.

Honda used to change them at 100,000 miles I believe, but they dropped it from the service schedule.

I'd still get it done for peace of mind.

I've already broken an OEM tensioner and had a new chain as well. On 46k miles now. :lol:

Lairy cams' fault but they were only on for 8k. Should have uprated the tensioner at the same time as the valvetrain really...

had a word with a chap in honda and he said to me that they have never changed a chain in a ep3 they should run the life of the car, its just kids on a owners site.
but im 30 and had to change the chain wen I changed the tensioner and then proceeded to tell him about my tensioner and how it was locked in place. I tryed it in a vice
and could not get it to move in or out. his face was a picture with his dumb look.

replaced mine 2 years ago at the cost of £400 as it was streached and my mate has the same problem at the min.
Both cars gone around 80k mark

Do you guys think the OEM chain and tensioner would be ok for a JRSC EP3 or would a hybrid racing "upgraded" one be better

It should be fine really because you aren't doing anything to the travel of the chain, as the cams aren't being swapped and the valvetrain is the same.

If you do decide to upgrade the tensioner though Toda is a better bet than the Hybrid ones.

The chain should in theory last forever, but after a couple of 3rd instead of 5th shifts you'll find a bit of stretch :lol:

I got my chain and tensioner changed when i got my cams fitted and chain was very stretched. TDI were surprised it never jumped a tooth. I only had the car 1000 miles :confused:

Back