• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knock/clunk while reversing

Hey guys hope you're all well

I've been chasing niggly little problems on the EP3 for months now! And last week I thought I had finally got everything in order with a big smile on my face :)

However! I now seem to have developed quite a loud thud/clunk/knock sound coming from the offside front of the car, but happens especially when I'm reversing "clunk.............clunk.............clunk!"

I can also feel it doing it while going forward also, but no where near as bad as reverse

I have a feeling it may be a CV joint perhaps, but just wanted to see if you guys could shed any light on the matter? I've had my wheel off tonight and does feel like there is alittle play in the drive shaft, I can also move the inner CV joint on its on without the shaft itself moving, but I'm not sure if this is correct or not

Apologies if this has been posted before, I've tried the search button to no avail, either that or I'm just crap at using it

Seems to be a bit of a common problem with the cv ball becoming loose in the joint. Mine did it recently and when discussing this up area, they had another ep3 with same issue. It caused a loud kicking noise when turning for me

Cheers for the reply mate. Yes I'm pretty sure myself that it's the CV joint causing me grief, I'll get one on order and see if it will cure the problem :)

If you hover your cursor over his ID name you will see he hasn't been here since 2018.

Back