• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knock in steering

Lads i had the car up checking for play in the track rod ends and noticed there's a bit of play at the centre of the rack, when i grab the both sides of the wheel and rock in and out you can see the rack moving slightly.
Is it a case that you have to get a new rack or is there a kit you can buy to sort?

I knew i read that before i had even bought my car..

Sound lad. You wouldnt have a part number by any chance?

Right i done the job on saturday, must say very easy job to do.

But no joy still clunky left to right knocking.

New rack i suppose? Did i read somewere that the 05 model racks dont have this problem?

The rods seemed fine when i had them off doing the slider, one of the track rod ends needs replacing but it woudn't make the knock.
So im basically taking a chance with a second hand rack then aswell!

im having the same problem with my rack.. it clunks when you turn the wheel left and right.. i have changed the slider and track rod ends but its still the same... the noise seems to be coming right from the center. i read on here that it a matter of not enough grease but when i had the slider changed i had loads of grease put in but still the same.. im thinking to get a second hand rack to.

im having the same problem with my rack.. it clunks when you turn the wheel left and right.. i have changed the slider and track rod ends but its still the same... the noise seems to be coming right from the center. i read on here that it a matter of not enough grease but when i had the slider changed i had loads of grease put in but still the same.. im thinking to get a second hand rack to.

Yes exactly what i did, seems to be getting worse now..

mad click from it when you go from from 9 to 3 on the wheel.would there be any chance the rack went out of synk when i removed it??
Ive found one over here for 130 euro and "LOW" miles. so he says.

Yes exactly what i did, seems to be getting worse now..

mad click from it when you go from from 9 to 3 on the wheel.would there be any chance the rack went out of synk when i removed it??
Ive found one over here for 130 euro and "LOW" miles. so he says.

Get in touch with Integrastella . I purchased my second hand rack off him and have had no problems whatsoever.
He has an ebay shop ;) http://shop.ebay.co.uk/integrastella/m.html

Hope this helps.
Craig

Back