• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knock sensor fault

Another week another problem.

Bought my ep3 about 2 weeks ago, first week alls well but now this week the eml came on so got the code read. Its p0325 knock sensor. So my questions are, are they easy to do with abit shouting and swearing? Is there any way that i can tell if its this and not something different? And is the car still safe to drive?

Car still runs the same, no missfire, doesnt sound any different and vtec still pulling as should be.

any help cheers

Swap it . Sod knows what's going on as the ecu can't detect knock.

The sensor is on the front of the engine beside cylinder 3 below the I let manifold .

Easy job and you'll get a sensor in a breakers. Be very easy on it though the green cover breaks off very easy

With a faulty or broken knock sensor you timing will be retarded so as to prevent any damages that may arise due to any pre ignition, the ep3 will there fore accelerate very sluggish. Fairly easy to change just support brackets for the intake manifold will be in the way. I broke my knock sensor on my dc5 type R when removing the starter to remove the box.

It's not an active knock system. It's primary use is to detect fuel quality and retard ignition by a set amount if knock occurs .

Just because the OPs has failed doesn't mean ignition is automatically retarded . What it does mean is if knock occurs because it won't be detected no retard will occur and damage can happen.

There are no minimum ignition tables only a main ignition table and a retard table. So when you have a fault it falls back to the main table .

Sadly Honda decided that when the knock sensor goes open circuit the ecu doesn't lock vtc to 0 degree limp mode.

good but why did I lose power

As was originally posted with the dc5 Rs the broken KS , there was significant power loss, wondering if it's different for the itrs to go back to retard tables because of the difference in hp 20+? Or was it an adjusted fuel map?

Stock maps are all done on the same logic.

Mine was smashed recently and drove fine.

Now if the dc5 was mapped that's a different story entirely as you can do special things on hondata ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed the knock sensor today, turns out the previous owner had the light on aswell but rather than replace the sensor he just put abit of sealant on it and stuck the 2 halfs back together.

Hi. New to the site and this has just happened on my DC5. Is this simply due to wear and tear or any specific cause? I have noticed some shuddering and performance decreases in terms of acceleration at motorway speeds so don't fancy running it for too long like this!

Stock maps are all done on the same logic.

Mine was smashed recently and drove fine.

Now if the dc5 was mapped that's a different story entirely as you can do special things on hondata ;)

Was wondering how a remap would make a difference to a knock sensor malfunction? Would you not still experience the same symptoms?

Cheers if anyone can advise!

Back