• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking/Crack sound on an FN2 but not the subframe

Hi,

I have an FN2 2008 with 95k miles on it. over the last year it has developed a subtle knocking sound from the front end. It also has a metallic crack normally when the steering is on full lock. I have read a lot about this but alas have failed secure a cure, so respectfully request any advise to solve the issue. The salient points are:

> The subframe has been dismantled by my independent mechanic and a main dealer, both to no avail. Both couldn't see how that would work, though the main dealer confessed that it does, but not on this occasion....

> The knocking sound is like a dull thud, very quite.

> Which side?......I'd guess driver's off side.

> It occurs only when under drive i.e. if the vehicle is on an incline and the brake released and allowed to roll, it won't occur. If the vehicle is moved 1-2mph under power, then it does...

> It occurs forwards and in reverse when tested.

> The noise is far less noticeable in the winter for the first 5miles, indicating it is a component that is effected by heat/use.

> The independent mechanic has just MOT'd the vehicle having replaced the front shocks that were leaking, the vehicle has been on the shaker plate and all mounts (engine) checked to no avail.

> It's not activated by speed humps.

> When the car is started, the engine/exhaust tone is very very similar to the knocking noise. If there wasn't a knocking noise then the engine/exhaust noise would not sound out of place.

> Turning the stereo up does resolve the problem......

> The cracking metallic sound is rare and normally occurs reversing onto the incline of the driveway on full left hand lock. It does occur occasionally on roundabouts e.g. effected by steering.

> The independent mechanic states that there is some play in the steering rack, but nothing of concern.

That's about all of the symptoms and research done to date.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Steve

(Sorry for the delayed reply) The subframe job sheet fix has now been done twice, to no avail.....

I've read something about a wishbone needing to be tightened up, I'll explore that

I'd be looking at the drop links. Sometimes you can't see that they're on their way out unless you remove them from the car and check for play.

Back