• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking from rear brake area

Hi guys ,

I have searched for a few hours but haven't being able to find something that exactly matches my problem.

Since lowering my ep3 I've had a clunk/knock coming from my rear passenger side wheel or brake. It is more noticeable at low speeds and the knock is when the wheel is turning the noise appears at the same point of every revolution, the pads and disc as well as ARB bushes seem fine and there isn't any play when you jiggle the wheel. Im wondering if in fact it could be that the handbrake is too loose and causing something to catch ? or even possibly a wheel bearing ??

If anyone could point me in the right direction would be a great help.

Thanks

Mike

If it was your wheel bearing then you'd most likely hear a low droney sound, that's what I'm getting from my EP3 now, will replace the bearings soon. If the sound is coming from the back then check the opposite side on the front. Check for play in the front wishbones and drop links. Check the bushes too. I had a customer come to me with a ford focus complaining about the same thing. Turned out one of the front wishbones had to be replaced. I just diagnosed the problem by raising the car and checking for play etc on all four corners.

Another customer who had a really similar issue on their range rover had to have the drop links at the front replaced. I diagnose this buy raising the car up and then locking the wheel to try and find the location of the noise.

And another customer came to me with a very similar issue on their 1.4 civic. This time I raised the car, then put a trolley jack under the wheel. Lifted the car until the sound came and then took it back down and done the same thing. Eventually found out the shock had to be replaced. If you replace a shock make sure you do both sides together.

As you're saying the sound comes mainly when you turn the wheel, it would most likely be a problem at the front. I could be wrong but I hope this helps. I know you posted a while back and have probably found a solution already. Let me know what the issue turned out to be if you have sorted it.

Back