• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking noise from front end (centre)

Hello everyone, I have been waiting a little while for this to develope and now it has I am hoping someone may have the answer? Basically I have a knocking noise (constant) at low speed going over uneven road and also the same knock (once) when turning left or right. I drove slowly today and listened carefully and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the centre of the car. I have also found now that it's developed a bit that when I am stationary and rock the steering left to right I get what I think is the same knocking noise (centrally).

Thanks

Things it could be in likeliness order are front drop links, front arb bushes, top mounts, tie rod ends, steering rack, wheel bearing.

You'll be unlucky if it is anything else.

Ok cheers mate, well I have replaced front top mounts. With me rocking the steering with it being stationary I thinking it's more something to do with steering side possibly?? I will say that the noise seems to be more exaggerated since I fitted coilovers on the car about 1 month ago now.

I had a friend who rocked the steering and I felt all around, the only thing I could find was the drivers side strut top I could feel the knocking on that so I am going to start with a pair of them, then go from there.

Steering rack slider. It's only made out of plastic and can wear over time. Rack is bolted the bulk head and that's why you can hear it from the centre of the dash.

Just out of interest, I replaced the strut top mounts today and I noticed that on one of the coilovers when I turn the dampener it was making a knocking/catching sound from inside?? Don't know if it's possibly undone itself a little and if it can be tightened back up??

I have had the 30mm Eibach kit fitted last week with a FRSU setup. Has around noticed when the car is static ( at a junction/traffic lights) the steering knocks once when turning the wheel either left/right? It only does it when i am static never when i am driving at any speed.

i haven't because i only noticed it this morning. Didn't notice at all on the way home and it has done a good 200 miles. i think it might be the steering engaging if that makes sense.

Funny you should say that brearctr cause mine does the exact same thing when I first get it the car after it has been stood for a little while say overnight of whilst at work. It knocks once and that's it

Yeah it seemed to be fine earlier when i went for lunch. i will ring ABP and keep an eye on it. i was just checking to see if anyone else had experienced it because if it was the top mounts or something then i am sure ABP would have mentioned while fitting. Maybe i need to let the whole suspension bed in a little because it is all new and tight.

UPDATE: I believe I have finally found the noise I have been searching for. It turns out that the coilovers weren't tight as in the part where the dampener goes into the shock there is a part with two holes in it don't know what it's called but it tightens it all up. Turns out that was loose on both sides so tightened and it's like a new car, dead chuffed :)

Back