• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking Noise over Potholes or humps

Hey Guys new to this so please go easy on me, i recently bought a 55 CTR lst week with 100k on the clock and noticed a knocking noise when going over Humps or Potholes that i cant avoid at certain speeds, i feel it and hear it more in the middle especially on the foot rest next to the clutch one of my mates said it could be the steering rack, also the car is completely stock and feels like the ride its a little bouncy but when serviced haven't noticed no leaks on the arbs any clues???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing only at low speeds over gravel or rough roads, had everything checked and couldnt be found, I swore it was the rack.
But turned out to be play in the strut, very minimal play though, I couldnt find it but my mechanic did.
All sorted now.

Hey guys Thanks for all the help will have a look on my days off and get it sorted, Meyle parts look decent and looking to purchase most of my needs from them, again thank you guys have a lovely day

Hey Loxy manage to find out what the knocking noise whats coming from it was the steering rack so i was wondering if you could help me again, spoke to one of my mates and hes telling me that i could get hold of one second had but will need to match ecu prt no.???? I baffed cant i just match it with the part no. That shows on the steering rack it self???

Never heard of that. Facelift had a different rack IIRC, so you have to be sure you put the same type back on.

Mine is a 55 plate so i could get one of a type R from the same year right?? Thanks Loxy

Any facelift I would have thought.

New not an option? Who is to say a second hand rack wouldn't develop issues soon?

I'm sure theres a company on eBay selling reconditioned ones for £300 stripped and rebuilt

Niceee even better you wouldn't happen to know the sellers name??? Cheers Spike

i have a clunk sort of sound when going over rough roads or sharp jolts like drop kerbs. i was convinced it was the rack. New anti roll bar bushes drop links are 12 months old, Only things to do now are top mounts or see if the common slider unit in the rack has any play

How could i tell if theres play?? I notice the knocks just on the left by my clutch foot where the foot rest is but i kind of noticed that when i full lock the steering either way it kind knocks but not all the time

im not sure on the steering rack slider but i believe its a common fault and only £26 for the genuine part. Maybe have some one rotate and move the steering wheel while feeling the steering rack or watch for excessive movement

Spike any chance i could get your number so i could explain to you instead of typing lol

But if i replace the steering rack it comes with the slider its all in one piece isn't it???

Back