• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Knocking when pullling away from standstill

Hey guys.

I have recently purchased an EP3 02 plate which appears to be a well cherished example with Full Honda Service History. However, I was out in it last night and the rain and I could hear a god awful knocking sound when I was pulling away from junctions. I could feel this in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gears and was amplified through the steering wheel. This is the first time I have driven the car in the rain so maybe this has something to do with it.

Any ideas?

Chris

Best thing to do is get underneath with a pry bar and make sure none of the bushes or ball joints have any play
If nothing look at driveshafts for knocking or crunching
Best way to check is get the front wheels in the air and move the wheel around side to side and spin it quick with your hands on it forward and reverse

If this has no outcome take it for a spin and try to hear exactly where its from then have a good look again

Also check for loose bolts
I had a odd knock now and again and they guy i got mine off had just had the arb rods changed and the garage didnt do the nuts up tight enough

Hopefully its something simple
By checking it gives you piece of mind if its all ok and you find something loose thats easy to fix

Also you can see what needs changing in the near future
I thought mine was all ok but my lower arm bushes had more play than they should
So i knew to change them before i bought anymore parts

Sometimes being in a lower car like the type are cause its tougher suspension it sometimes sounds a bit more knocky going over bumps than your standard car it shouldnt be that bad right enough.

But i would do asbove said check it out.

I went from a pumesta lowered 90mm with 16s and everything as stiff as i could get it

This is like sitting up in bed going down the road compared

:D i know what you mean
My mum always says oh that doesnt sound all that
When its always been like that

Hi. What was the outcome with this?

I also have quite a noticeable knocking sound which I can feel through the clutch pedal when pulling away slowly in 1st and 2nd gear from a standstill.

Going to get it booked into Honda to get it checked.

its going to be a creaking steering rack if you get it when pulling off. just needs re greasing, have a google about it mate its a common thing.

Thanks chris, I will check this later and see if that's the issue (certainly looks/sounds it from YouTube vids)! Cheers

yeah i just un clipped the oem honda clips that hold on the rubber steering rack boots turned the steering wheel full lock right and wedged as much multi purpose greese as poss i used the thick stuff in a pot, and then used some heavy duty cable ties to secure it its been fine ever since. if you get a problem give us a message mate.

My problem could be similar to yours. I've been getting a rattle/banging right underneath the car ever since having a new exhaust that only occurs when it's very wet and there's lots of spray on the road. I've been puzzled for ages but came across a forum thread: "the rattle is from water hitting and cooling the bottom half of the exahust mid-pipe. This thermal stress causes the bottom of the mid pipe to want to contract and flexes the pipe upwards into the exhaust tunnel. I've wrapped my mid-pipe with exhaust heat wrap and the problem disappears."

Hi mate this is normal it's just where the pipe heats up and the splash of the rain hits it and resonates and causes a loud vibration/ rattle.

As most people have mentioned all the possible reasons of the knocking noise. I will say this is a common issue with the pre-face EP3/older for its age, and especially when you start messing about with suspension or other parts related to it.

Have you checked the wishbone bushes, ball joints, drop links, engine mounts and the existing suspension. These are most of the common parts which could led to causing issue.

Back