• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lack of tec?

Hey peeps, Weird question coming up. I checked my oil the other day and it seemed thinner than normal. Almost as thin as water. Checked it all through usual areas and on a spectra scope which showed no water content at all. Thing is i feel as if im not getting full power from vtec, but it is still coming. Could the oil being thinner cause some power loss? Got servicekit for it today so will see if that has any change to make. Just wanted the masses input really.

Cheers Stu

What ever the stealer put in 9 weeks ago when it had 75k service. Car has only coverd 52k *** was part of purchase deal.

TGM used to put Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic in my DC5. It was so light and thin, I had trouble reading the dipstick. That certainly didn't have any negative effects on performance.

if v-tec engages then the oil is doing it's job. thin oil is weird, I would have a oil change for the sake of a blown engine if the oil is too thin to work as an affective lubrication.

Oil will also be a bit thinner due to the higher temps we've been having, not much but it might be enough to show a difference on a dipstick?

Well believe it or not guys. The thin oil did seem to make an impact on the vtec side of things. I changed oil yesterday morning and car drives like new again.

Thanks for your help.
Stu

Good to hear mate. It's a good job you noticed the viscosity of your oil and changed it before it caused potential damage. you would think a thin oil would let the engine run more freely and lessen the drag. weird.

Back