• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Layman information please

Ok guys, I've been reading through these posts, replies etc etc.. And basically I'm slightly baffled by information provided, brand names different pros and cons to different mods..

I've recently got my first Type R ep3 .. Sorted the few problems I've posted about on here, so now I've a standard ep3.. Which I love driving, putting my foot down feels ace, as you guys well know !!

Where to go from here.. Best mods to do first.. I don't want more top end, just acceleration and response .. So induction ? .. Mod the existing air box to improve air flow or a K & N ?? .. I've just read some intakes can reduce throttle response, which I don't want .. I'm not very mechanically minded so keep advice reasonably simple.. Torque dampener ?? Looks good, but what does it actually do, can I fit it myself, is there already one on the car ???? Haha..

I'd just like to do a few minor mods to improve proformance and throttle response .. ? Cheers for any advice,

Hello buddy.

What I suggest you do is have a look around the forum, in the stickies (Exhaust, intake, suspension guides etc), and things may be a bit clearer for you :)

There is a wealth of info on here that has come from years of people playing with these machines.

As for a torque damper, it reduces engine movement under load and also deceleration.
Do you need one, I'd say no for the time being.

HTH :D

Thanks a lot mate, I have been reading most of the forums and I am slightly confused by different information, guess I just want an "personally I'd do this first" type of reply, then I can look at the different ways of doing that.. If you know what I mean .. I'm new to type r's and forums I guess

Fair one.

It is a minefield....

Intake, depends how much you want to spend...
£750+ J's Racing
£4-500? ARC or Gruppe M
£2-300? Tegiwa Gruppe M Replica
£1-150 AEM CAI

Suspension,
the recognised is as Tom says.
FRSU or Fast Road Set Up
Generally Eibach lowering springs in conjuction with camber adjuster bolts and rear camber arms with a more aggressive geometry set up to get the car handling like it should be.
I'd do this first.

Then I'd uprate the brakes with some DS2500 pads, braided hoses and RBF600 fluid.

Get it cornering and stopping well then do the power stuff ;)

I wish I had done the lowering springs and frsu first now currently saving to do that. I opted for more throttle response and kept the standard airbox and dropped in an ITG filter, it made a little difference not loads but was noticable. The standard airbox is meant to be pretty **** hot anyway, I may try the hondata airbox mod with caf (cold air feed) in time. I also have a catback exhaust, I don't want to tune mine loads but with the ITG and exhaust response feels better.

Thanks !!!!.. An ITG filter ? Is that just put into the air box ? .. Would you recommend Cutting away the bits in those pictures to improve airflow ?

Now you see, I've just search ITG filters.. And there's a few of them.. Which one ? Haha.. Yes ok.. I'm useless :)

It's an ITG pro filter specifically for the EP3 civic type r cost about £50 delivered I got mine from camskill.co.uk. You simply open the airbox take old filter out put the ITG in it's simple to do. I went for an ITG because a test done by redline magazine a few years back found that an ITG gave the best airflow and power output, It was tested against all the other brands k and n, blitz, green, spoon etc. It will also last just take it out and clean it you won't have to replace it. Plus I didn't fancy an induction kit because I'm not tuning the nuts off my CTR.

As for the airbox mod I haven't done this yet so can't comment, others on here will help you with that but if I decide to do it I will buy a second hand airbox and mod that. That way if anything goes wrong or your not happy you always have the original to put back in place.

As others have said already I would recommend making improvements to the handling / brakes before adding more power. I would also consider fitting a limited slip diff by Quaiffe or Mfactory. This completely transforms the car and IMO is the best modification you can make.

If you are wanting to upgrade the intake though I would personally look at something like this http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?84997-ITG-Maxogen-ep3 at the lower end or Tegiwa/GM/ARC if budget allows.

Is it a big job adding the limited slip diff ? How exactly does it transform the car ? What advantages does it give ? It sounds expensive haha

Is it a big job adding the limited slip diff ? How exactly does it transform the car ? What advantages does it give ? It sounds expensive haha

Yeah its a pretty big job unfortunately. Expect to pay £1k+ depending on which diff you go for. It's the labour that's the killer so it is best to get fitted when the clutch needs replacing as both require the gear box to be out.

You can save a fair amount though buy picking one up second hand such as this one here http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?85077-JDM-LSD-(-Limited-Slip-Diff-)-For-Sale. Think I paid around £900 all in for a second hand Quaife, new clutch and labour costs.

The advantages are that it will help to reduce under steer and allow you to get on the power much earlier through the corners. Improved steering feel/ feedback and gives you the confidence to push the car much further though the twisties like it was designed for.

I have done the air box mod. Its easy to do and i noticed a good difference
Pulls more and sounds more agressive
Then i put a piper panel filter in and i noticed abit more of a pull
I havent yet put my big cold air feed on it but the difference so far is good

I googled hondata civic air box mod and theres a step by step guide

I would only do it if you have a dremel
Otherwise you need a small hacksaw then sand the remains off

Hope this helps

Does the panel filter go in the air box ?? Is there one made specifically for the ep3 ? Just looked on the website and its just a generic image ..

Yeah it fits in the air box. Its a circle. Really simple to fit.
Take off the front pipe on airbox then theres a few bolts to undo
There all 10mm from memory
Im not sure if it is a specific one for a ep3
I typed in civic type r ep3 and bought the one i wanted and it fitted no problems

Yeah the box mod is quite simple i would say its best to use a dremel
Just make sure its well cleaned of plastic bits before refitting

Yeah I have a Dremel, just looking at the pictures on how to do it now, did you mod the cold air feed as well or just the box ?

Back