• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Leak from top of Gearbox/gear selector cable?

I have noticed some residue along with some fluid collecting on the top of my gearbox/right under the gear selector cable. I've been checking it when I stop and it is hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

Engine oil level seems to be fine and also no strange sounds. There is nothing that would suggest there's an issue with the gearbox; no strange noise or behaviour, it still drives great. I'm wondering has anyone seen this sort of thing before, is there a seal etc that is prone to perishing or could it be something more serious?

Here are a few photos:

uoDu9UY.jpg

rg9wQtT.jpg

I've been paranoid about dropping fluid ever since I noticed it, after parking a few times there has been a drops of fluid on the ground. This could be water etc and there is no trail of fluid etc as I drive so I'm not convinced.

It might be difficult to make out specifically anything in that photo, you can see a collection of yellow fluid under the gear selector cable/bushing. The front side of the box had residue on it today.

I will try and take it to my mechanic this weekend but wanted to get a better understanding of it for my own sanity... Any ideas?

I have the same thing though not quite as bad. In your second photo in the middle is a rubber cap which has an arm coming off of it, that's a seal for a valve (I don't know what it's for or what it's called so wouldn't like to say) mine is very loose and I suspect needs replacing. I'd suggest that's where your oil 'leak' is coming from. Try taking it off see how loose it is.
I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will chirp up with the correct naming and links to a replacement

Ive being doing some work in the engine bay this morning and remembered seeing this thread. I've noticed on my car there seems to be a cap missing, one closest the camera, it has like a little arrow on it. There seems to be yellow fluid around the top edge of it so wondering if like you fluid is leaking out? Does anyone know what this 'valve' does or where I can get a replacement cap for one.
Ive attached a picture so you can see. It's the one closest to camera at the bottom.

B00815AC-7EC8-4DD6-B4B5-3258FE1AC405.jpg

That's the gearbox breather. No idea where you can get one, I'm sure honda must supply them.

I have noticed some residue along with some fluid collecting on the top of my gearbox/right under the gear selector cable. I've been checking it when I stop and it is hard to tell exactly where it's coming from.

Engine oil level seems to be fine and also no strange sounds. There is nothing that would suggest there's an issue with the gearbox; no strange noise or behaviour, it still drives great. I'm wondering has anyone seen this sort of thing before, is there a seal etc that is prone to perishing or could it be something more serious?

Here are a few photos:

uoDu9UY.jpg

rg9wQtT.jpg

I've been paranoid about dropping fluid ever since I noticed it, after parking a few times there has been a drops of fluid on the ground. This could be water etc and there is no trail of fluid etc as I drive so I'm not convinced.

It might be difficult to make out specifically anything in that photo, you can see a collection of yellow fluid under the gear selector cable/bushing. The front side of the box had residue on it today.

I will try and take it to my mechanic this weekend but wanted to get a better understanding of it for my own sanity... Any ideas?

Hello mate I think what your looking for maybe be part Number 1 on this diagram
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/hond...ck_01=17S5T501&block_02=M__1600&block_03=9815

Last edited by a moderator:
Back