• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

leather gear gaiter (EP3)

How hard are they to fit as i've wanted one for ages but have been put of from previous experiences on my last car and from what people say on here!??

its not really that bad to do mate.

take out the lower facia by putting the car into 3rd gear and push the rubber gaitor in at the bottom so you can feel the plastic ridge and pop the bottom out towards you. now run your finger up along the side towards the top and pop the fixing out in the corners (be carefull when popping the corners as people have bent and creased the plastic facia) now unplug the fag lighter and hazard switches, unscrew the gearknob and remove the whole facia.

remove the three screws holding the rubber gaitor in place and unclip the chrome top.
you will need superglue to hold the alacantra in place over the plastic bit with the three screws and the top should hold in place with the chrome bit clipped in over the alacantra with no glue. let the glue set then put it back together and jobs a good un.

I tried a few including an OEM leather gaitor and ended up back with the original.

I kinda like it's funkyness, and it matches the oddness of having a gear lever on your dash.

I tried a few including an OEM leather gaitor and ended up back with the original.

I kinda like it's funkyness, and it matches the oddness of having a gear lever on your dash.

I agree Crumb; for me a leather/alcantara gaitor sort of droops/sags (due to it being cloth) and doesn't look as good sprouting from the dash IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted mine yesterday (alcantara) and actually think it looks much better. The rubber boot looks very very very cheap and really doesn't suit the sporty image of the car IMHO. The last time i saw something of that poor quality was in a hyundry accent.

Yes the fabric folds up when you change gear but it certainly doesn't droop/ sag if it is fitted properly. Will try and get some pics up when i can

Get some pics up mate.

Don't get me wrong just because I personally prefer the OEM rubber thing doesn't mean all else is sh!te.

So long as you like it mate, that's all that matters. :smt023

Just fitted a black alacantra gaiter with red stitching to replace the plain black leather one the previous owner had fitted. Thing is, I don't have the chrome collar that fits at the top under the knob. Can you get this part anywhere?

Been looking at these for a while. Cant help thinking that the Alcantara gaitor just looks like an old sock !
Leather looks too cheap as does the carbon effect gaitor. And as for the handbrake gaitors.......get me a bucket :smt078

Sticking with the original.

just fitted an alcantara one, no problems really, no glue needed anyway and doesn't any sign of coming off so far...!

Back