• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Less noise wanted!

I've been reading through a lot of old threads on this subject and I appreciate it's propably one of those annoying repeat questions but the more I read the more I'm left baffled!! (Unlike my exhaust)
I currently have a scorpion unsilenced centre and oval back box and it is too noisy for my liking. I don't want that constant burble and noise. So I've been attempting to look into options (cheap ones as I'm saving for a house).
So im wandering if anyone can give me feedback on what I think are my best options:
1) Fit a silenced sportex b pipe and keep my oval back box.
2) Keep the unsilenced centre pipe and fit a standard back box to it.
I know there are more options but these seem favourite. I do like to have some exhaust note but I favour subtlety for my 5:30 am commute. It's that or tempted to just go back to standard altogether.
Any first hand feedback would be appreciated!!
Craig

The most subtle will definitely be keep unsilenced centre and fit OEM backbox.
Can still make a fair bit of noise in vtec etc.
Keeps the OEM look too.

this is what I'm going for , ordered yesterday , I'm the same not after to much attention noise wise just enough to hear it and keep it Standard Looking

Mine is only pretty raspy when cold, when the cars warmed up it quietens down, obviously if you're pushing on you get some sound.

IMO though the standard system with a 2.5 un-silenced b pipe is how the car should of sounded from factory.

fitted mine , and happy with the sound , 1-3k it sounds deeper than standard and sounds really good. 3k onwards if giving it some it sounds raspy but in a good way. I'm not overly keen on the raspy sound but it sounds nice to be honest. better than expected

Which b-pipe did you go for spike? Supersprint seems to pop up a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most go for sportex as it's cheap but is a mild steel, the supersprint is stainless hence more money. M2 do them now too at a reasonable price silenced and unsilenced. I think they are around £120 unsilenced and £160 for the silenced option and they are stainless steel.

Any idea on how loud the M2's are Shoonk and what the quality is like? I've read that Supersprint hangs lower than the OEM b-pipe, is this the same with the M2 also?

Would prefer stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously the unsilenced will be louder than silenced but I've never heard them in the flesh, the M2 is starting to get a popular brand I don't think anyone has had issues with them and I've heard they are good quality, TDI North are selling them in their package deals so they must be decent, they offer really good value.

Sound wise you could check youtube, sorry can't be much more help sound wise. Seems your using OEM backbox that will dampen down the sound a fair bit, so if you want a little more sound you'll be better off going unsilenced I would say.

Pretty much all aftermarket b pipes sit lower than OEM, and sometimes you can have a strange vibration noise coming from under the car, especially in the wet, however, this is normal when changing the b pipe/catback.

Some can scrape over speed bumps too but this is usually more of an issue on lowered cars than standard.

I have a back box from M2 and to be fair the quality is very nice, a lot better than what I was expecting for what was a cheap eBay part.

The sound for me on my exhaust got a lot louder when changing the b pipe.. Maybe try getting a Oem One.

I have a back box from M2 and to be fair the quality is very nice, a lot better than what I was expecting for what was a cheap eBay part.

I have one sat waiting to go on the car this weekend, quality seems to be good, the can is smaller than I expected too so may be louder than I thought.
I am going to keep the bung for motorway journeys but will have to spray it matt black to try disguise it as it looks truly awful with bung in.

I have one sat waiting to go on the car this weekend, quality seems to be good, the can is smaller than I expected too so may be louder than I thought.
I am going to keep the bung for motorway journeys but will have to spray it matt black to try disguise it as it looks truly awful with bung in.

Never got a bung with mine, but it was the small N1 style tip.

I have a standard one waiting to go back on though, was a bit to loud for my day to day driving.

What colour is the bung? I've had to buy one for spoon n1 as I'm moving house and i don't really want to make a bad first impression hahhahaha

Are the m2's really loud then? My mates looking for a new exhaust for his ep3... And too be honest I was going to buy one at first!

Depends on your definition of loud I suppose, It is quite loud between 2-4k so town driving I feel it grates a little. I only had a week or so on an OEM setup before changing, so can't really compare fully but it is definitely a deeper sound.

STR, will wait until your Twin Loop is for sale when you get an FK2. :lol:

I will be using it with OEM b pipe for now, just want a little more noise. I have this one:

M2-HD-EP3-RB-copy.jpg

With the bung in it looks completely stupid.

Its a buddy club spec 3 copy.

Painting the bung will disguise it much more but I doubt it will stay in much. :lol:

I am going to go custom on b pipe as most aftermarket hang too low for me and get the biggest available silencer welded in

Iv had a genuine n1 before very loud on unilenced, magnex oval, piper style twin backbox (OEM look)

So wanted something different and gone for the angled Jap style.

Josh did you have aftermarket b pipe and if so was it silenced or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back