• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Light flywheel info please.

I've got some questions about a light flywheel.

*Any idea how much the OEM weighs?
*Brake horse power is measured at the flywheel, does swapping to ultrlight actually improve dynoreadouts? Anyone tried this?
*Any feel-able improvements with a lighter flywheel?

*downsides over OEM?

Thanks!

well iv got a 02 CTR and thats the first gen engine setup with "heavy flywheel " but assuming you have the face lift 2004 its abit lighter with a few other bits to improve the response , anyway i went for the DC5 flywheel which is said to be lighter than the face lift CTR and when i compared in arm weights it was very noticable 6th pulls a treat and mid range feels alot more alive before vtec and in vtec much better , i cant tell if there are any massive gains over standard because mines abit modded hope this helps

You'll feel throttle response improved as well as there will be less inertia on the engine ;)

Downsides are that in theory, the engine will not be as smooth at lower revs but in my experience, it's never that noticeable

I fitted a 8lb fidanza to my old lude, picked up a lot quicker. Easier to stall but you soon get use to it.

And no it doesn't increase your bupa figure...

its not too bad as it goes but defo a quick fix and depends on application for example are you going turbo? how old is the gearbox and engine, do you plan on doing your clutch? take some of these things into account because its better and more cost effective to have them done at the same time , oh yeah its a engine nearly out up in the air gearbox job so really have a good think hope this helps

Alright , yeah it did help alot to think about here , but what do you think i should get as a set ? should a buy a new gearbox and what has the engine got to do with getting the new flywheel ;D Sorry im a bit noobish with al this , im planning to get a type r , not got it yet. And your really close to me , reading , guess you know where slough is ?

well its hard to give advice if you havent had all the parts to try out but for stage one i did engine mounts, and clutch and dc5 flywheel plus re build because mine was on 118000 and wimpering abit , i wouldnt dive in and start buying loads of bits that you may not need , if like me are going to start putting your k20 though new stresses mods like flywheels arnt really the place to start. Id buy the type r you fancy and this is no joke buy the one that you can stretch too the most and NO mods if you can help it , unless of course its from a well represented forum like this which usually means there well looked after, anyway once you get it then decide what you want to put on it. yeah i know slough lol

Back