• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Light to Moderate Vibrations

Hey guys I'm a newbie here, I recently bought a 2002 JDM EP3R (stock). I'm just unsure about some light to moderate vibrations on the dashboard, steering wheel and gear stick. It only vibrates when the car is on idle and is warmed up. Now, I haven't taken the car to a mechanic because I haven't had the time (but I will eventually) and in the meanwhile I just wanted to get some opinions from other people. My friends said that it is to be expected for a 16~ year old and that everything is fine.

For some back story, this is my first manual car and eventually it will become my daily driver. I've only driven automatic cars all this time so I can't really compare an EP3 to a family car. Now I have driven friends' manual cars before here and there, but that's about it. Also I have recently driven my friend's 2001 DC5R and it seems like there are very minimal to no vibrations at all (compared to mine), which is why it got me worried a little bit. But like I said, the vibrations aren't crazy, maybe I'm just being paranoid or just my OCD kicking in. :)

What do you guys think? TIA

If the previous owner fitted inserts into the engine mounts (or firmer engine mounts) this can induce some vibration. They may be necessary if you have a different exhaust manifold fitted, or they may have been done because the old mounts were worn (or even just because the previous owner liked the idea).

First thing that springs to mind are the engine mounts. It could be that these are stiffer than some cars you've experienced or they may have been changed for stiffer after-market ones or even have inserts fitted.

Either that or one could be goosed. Just my thoughts anyway.

As the others have said check the engine mounts, it may have the inserts fitted or if they are oem they probably could do with renewing by now anyway.

If the previous owner fitted inserts into the engine mounts (or firmer engine mounts) this can induce some vibration. They may be necessary if you have a different exhaust manifold fitted, or they may have been done because the old mounts were worn (or even just because the previous owner liked the idea).

First thing that springs to mind are the engine mounts. It could be that these are stiffer than some cars you've experienced or they may have been changed for stiffer after-market ones or even have inserts fitted.

Either that or one could be goosed. Just my thoughts anyway.

As the others have said check the engine mounts, it may have the inserts fitted or if they are oem they probably could do with renewing by now anyway.

Agree with all the above

Cheers guys, I'll keep what you all said in mind when I visit the mechanics this week. I'll post an update on what they may find wrong with it. Hopefully it's nothing because I've been driving it around occasionally and it seems to drive fine. Ill be introducing myself and the car once I take proper photos! :)

Back