• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Load Shaft Bearings........Broken!!!!

Now then, i took my car to honda the other day as i suspected a wheel bearing was on its way out, but it turns out my load shaft bearings in my gearbox are on their way out , grrrrrrrrr :mad:.

Anyway i have been looking at finding a second hand gearbox, but i have my doubts about them because i don't want to buy a duff one, but then again i might get lucky and get a healthy one??

Honda offered to rebuild it for me at a price of £750 inc vat. What do you guys think i should do? i'm swaying both ways, but both have pro' and cons??

Also when i do get the gearbox out should i change my clutch? My current one has about 40,000 mile on it,

Opinions and info appreciated, thanks

How much are second hand gearboxes roughly? Like from Integrastella or wherever?

Also, what were the symptoms? I'm all paranoid as I dont think my gearbox is incredibly healthy at the moment

i've seen them range from £400 to £600,

it made a rumbling/lots of road noise sound from the front, it's not that loud at all, also when i spoke to the honda technician he took me out in the car and pointed out a sort of quiet rattling sound when the car sets from a dead stop in 1st and 2nd, he sadi once it gets to 3rd gear then its completley f****d.

It is weird lol. Its 'noisy' when I come off the throttle i.e when there's no load......................now that I've typed this, it does seem to be the logical conclusion that it's the load shaft bearings........

FML

Having Honda repair the box you will be gaining the warranty on the Labour, gearbox and genuine replacement parts but be loosing out on some cash in comparison to a refurbishers .

a gearbox refurbishers will be cheaper and will probably offer a warranty but on the box only, but I know from experience refurbishers reuse used parts that are on limitations of failure and replace parts with the cheapest on the Market or in-house manufactured parts. Monkeys build the boxes and many warranty returns occur.

A used gearbox is a gamble, I wouldn't.

Replace the clutch if you have spare wonga burning a hole, otherwise 40k isn't too bad and can be reused.

thanks for the help and info mate,

i'am thinking of changing the clutch, which way do i go? i know oem will be best for me as i just drive the car normally (don't track it), but honda will be wanting an extra £250 for the clutch kit

are there any other alternatives to oem clutch kit? thanks

A standard replacement clutch kit for a ep3 is around £150 so I would expect the same for a dc2. It's a 5-10 minute job to change the clutch with the gearbox already removed. If you supplied the clutch kit and had a chat with the garage I'm sure a cheaper fitting price could be arranged whilst the work for the gearbox is being done.

Does the noise happen when you press the clutch and keep it in gear? The input shaft will be spinning at road speed whilst in gear so should still make the noise?!

Sounds like the problem I've had for a while, sounds particular bad when you lift off. Kind of buzzing noise. Search for posts I've commented on for a video - on my phone so can't find the link

Does the noise happen when you press the clutch and keep it in gear? The input shaft will be spinning at road speed whilst in gear so should still make the noise?!

Sounds like the problem I've had for a while, sounds particular bad when you lift off. Kind of buzzing noise. Search for posts I've commented on for a video - on my phone so can't find the link

if i remember rightly, the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in when the car is moving, which ruled out what i thought was a wheel bearing, i don't geta buzzing sound just quiet rattles and a sound thats just like road noise

My noise goes away when the clutch is depressed as well. I reckon we have the same problem. Sh*tty honda gearboxes :(

What kind of mileage is yours on Jamie?

My noise goes away when the clutch is depressed as well. I reckon we have the same problem. Sh*tty honda gearboxes :(

What kind of mileage is yours on Jamie?

are you ready to laugh??......................................................it's on 158,000 miles, luckily it's been well maintained by honda, i was also told by the honda guys thats it has been rebuilt, but i have no proof :(,

what mileage are you rocking?

spot on mate, would be rude not to change it really :smt023

It may be worth also having the syncros replaced if you have a high mileage box.

They may replace them as part of the rebuild scheme as also all the bearings.

Write this down to question them.

What is included in a gearbox rebuild?

Full set of bearings?
syncro rings inspection/replacement? (1st & 2nd mainly)
Oil pump inspection/overhaul?
Oil filter replacement?
Thorough examination of internals?
Will they inspect the gearbox and flush/replace the oil after a run in period under the cost of the initial payment?

Back