• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Looking for an EP3.. Again!

Hi there everyone

New to the forum & looking to get my second EP3 after stupidly selling mine earlier this year!

This time I'm looking for a bit of a better example than my last (not that there was anything wrong with it), just could've done with a bit of a better look.

I'm not adversed to getting another one over 100k but would need to have timing chain replaced, probably a clutch too. Not fussed on colour/year etc, though I do have a preference for black or grey.

I've seen one for sale at 4K with 72k on the clock, timing chain and recent service done at grinspeed, 2 owners previously and 8 service stamps (3 Honda 2 grinspeed). Obviously this is a good sign, but I can't help and think that this is way good to be true at 4K?? Surely something wrong with it?? There is some body work damage but certainly no more than about £300 worth to repair.. should I avoid this or is this about the right price considering bodywork??

Hiya, Welcome along :).

TBH EP3's are going for crazy money at the moment, a mate of mine is trying to find a decent example, we have been to look at a couple which are all described as immaculate etc and they were wanting over £4k with a bit of haggling he managed to get them down to just under £4k but when we looked at them they were poop.

The only real way of telling is to go look and inspect as much as you can, we take a jack up with us and even ask to jack the car up and have a look underneath, bit cheeky maybe but if they won't let you look, I think they are then hiding something etc. We plug diagnostics in too lol.

I would go and have a look if your willing, let the seller/garage know that you have had one before and know what to look for and ask them to let you know if anything is up with it before you go to view because you will find it (I'm on my 3rd EP3 and my mate's bro has a DC5 so we know what to look out for lol). If you can get one at a bargain price or a good price your happy to pay GO FOR IT!

Although my mate tried the above asked him to declare anything because we would find it and the seller said all is good etc and we found a number of sins! We walked away ****ed because we had a wasted journey lol.

But yeah the only real way of telling is view it, I don't think anyone is going to be able to say walk away or go for it unless they know the car seller.

Do your checks (Hpi etc) as you mention it has body damage, so a Cat C or D will effect its value.
You don't mention if it's a Prem edition, preface/facelift, which affects value also.
I would ask why the timing chain was changed at 72k? Could be a indicator of how the car has been used.
Some good guides on here what to look for when buying.
Took me quite a while to find mine, but be patient and you'll get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiya, Welcome along :).

TBH EP3's are going for crazy money at the moment, a mate of mine is trying to find a decent example, we have been to look at a couple which are all described as immaculate etc and they were wanting over £4k with a bit of haggling he managed to get them down to just under £4k but when we looked at them they were poop.

The only real way of telling is to go look and inspect as much as you can, we take a jack up with us and even ask to jack the car up and have a look underneath, bit cheeky maybe but if they won't let you look, I think they are then hiding something etc. We plug diagnostics in too lol.

I would go and have a look if your willing, let the seller/garage know that you have had one before and know what to look for and ask them to let you know if anything is up with it before you go to view because you will find it (I'm on my 3rd EP3 and my mate's bro has a DC5 so we know what to look out for lol). If you can get one at a bargain price or a good price your happy to pay GO FOR IT!

Although my mate tried the above asked him to declare anything because we would find it and the seller said all is good etc and we found a number of sins! We walked away ****ed because we had a wasted journey lol.

But yeah the only real way of telling is view it, I don't think anyone is going to be able to say walk away or go for it unless they know the car seller.

You know what, that's a cracking idea and one I haven't thought of! I've done the old MOT check on it and it does look like it's been well catered for. Will get a hpi check done soon. May have to get myself a diagnostic checker!

Do your checks (Hpi etc) as you mention it has body damage, so a Cat C or D will effect its value.
You don't mention if it's a Prem edition, preface/facelift, which affects value also.
I would ask why the timing chain was changed at 72k? Could be a indicator of how the car has been used.
Some good guides on here what to look for when buying.
Took me quite a while to find mine, but be patient and you'll get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grey facelift mate, unfortunately not a premier (I like the seats in those). I know in the service booklet it says anywhere from 75k to 100k as part of routine maintenance.. so a little early yes. I'm determined to get the right one! What's everyone else's on?

Timing chains are replaced depending on condition. Some do it for peace of mind. If a car has been well cared for during it's life, quality oil and topped up well and not ragged every time then it's fine.
Loads of examples out there with chains never replaced despite 130k+ mileages.
You can always get it inspected.
Listen for chain rattles on start up and idle plus the usual EML and signs of rough performance.
It should be nice and smooth and rev freely as you are already aware being a previous owner.
Hang in there for the right one.
Mine might be for sale shortly as I'm doing my CBT and then getting a bike in the spring but I'd replace the ep3 with one of our Smart Fourtwo coupes from work on our lease scheme.

Timing chains are replaced depending on condition. Some do it for peace of mind. If a car has been well cared for during it's life, quality oil and topped up well and not ragged every time then it's fine.
Loads of examples out there with chains never replaced despite 130k+ mileages.
You can always get it inspected.
Listen for chain rattles on start up and idle plus the usual EML and signs of rough performance.
It should be nice and smooth and rev freely as you are already aware being a previous owner.
Hang in there for the right one.
Mine might be for sale shortly as I'm doing my CBT and then getting a bike in the spring but I'd replace the ep3 with one of our Smart Fourtwo coupes from work on our lease scheme.
Send me an inbox with details of yours mate. Yeah I'll do my checks when I get round to actually seeing the car. Been thinking though, if what I'm planning to do is modifications and stripping a lot of the car out, should I necessarily be looking for a low mileage/ one few owner one? As long as mileage isn't stupid and it's mechanically sound, maybe that's the best option?

Chains do depend on what sort of life the car has had, my mate carried out the big 70odd k service and we inspected the timing chain and there's no sign of any stretch etc at all just 'normal' wear as to be expected car was around 76k now on 81k and all is good. He has a DC5 he checked his with a service shortly after and changed it as his was way 'slacker' than mine showing more stretch, his DC5 was on 80odd k.

If you are going to strip it and modify, obviously you will want a good example but I wouldn't be massively bothered about low mileage, I would go as high as around 90k personally as long as there's good proven history with the car and it's in generally good nick body wise etc then it will be fine.

Obviously shop around but it also depends on your budget and how far you want to travel.

Send me an inbox with details of yours mate. Yeah I'll do my checks when I get round to actually seeing the car. Been thinking though, if what I'm planning to do is modifications and stripping a lot of the car out, should I necessarily be looking for a low mileage/ one few owner one? As long as mileage isn't stupid and it's mechanically sound, maybe that's the best option?
Mileage has nothing to do with the sale. That's just down to personal choice. An S2000 owner at my local garage has never changed his chain and his car is at 165k. He's had it seven years and services it every 4k miles.
It's all down to the owners applying tlc to a car.
If you are buying a car to strip down then it's not going to be a daily driver I would imagine.

I'll PM over some details.

I've always thought the whole point of a camchain is to reduce the maintenance (and increase reliability) aspects vs cambelt. If it was meant to be routinely replaced why not just fit belts instead. Mine is on 100k and ill check for slack next time I do the valves but apart from that ill leave it be.

Regarding milage - 100hp/litre is a higher than average state of tune so the milage expectancy must surely be a bit lower than the average car engine. The fact you don't see many for sale at 150k let alone 180 perhaps tells a story.

I've always thought the whole point of a camchain is to reduce the maintenance (and increase reliability) aspects vs cambelt. If it was meant to be routinely replaced why not just fit belts instead. Mine is on 100k and ill check for slack next time I do the valves but apart from that ill leave it be.

Regarding milage - 100hp/litre is a higher than average state of tune so the milage expectancy must surely be a bit lower than the average car engine. The fact you don't see many for sale at 150k let alone 180 perhaps tells a story.

I can't see how mileage expectancy is affected by the state of tune unless you are putting the engine under continual undue stress.
Besides. Engines can be rebuilt, components replaced.
There was a guy in the US who's Integra had done insanely high miles because he cared for it well. Big distances are no problem for most modern cars...it's just care and attention to detail with maintenance.

I agree with you cambelt vs chain comment. They are designed to last. It's the owner who has to uphold that theory.

+1 on the cam chain vs belt idea, they are there to last longer than a belt, I am however aware they can still stretch if the car is constantly driven like it's been stolen.

No you're quite right there Steven, I will be keeping my current car as a daily. I've spotted a potential premier edition 06 plate with 84k on the clock up for £4.2k which when I ran previous MOTs check on, really has got a fantastic clean history (only about 4/5 advisories ever!)! 7 service stamps, whilst that isn't the greatest it can potentially be, isn't the worst, considering they're all from Honda isn't bad!

Steven has also PM'd me with details of his, which sounds very promising I must say!

Back