• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loose/damaged radiator bottle?

I have a loose radiator reservoir bottle on my EP3. It’s also rubbed against something so will need replacing. Does anyone know how to replace it? Is it a straightforward task or is it a trip to the garage?

Not sure if I’ve got my terminology right but it’s the bottle circled here.

EP3 Engine Bay.jpg

I suspect this will involve taking the front bumper off. Trouble is, I have a mugen grill and lip which doesn't flex much.

If you know how to change your coolant, those would be the steps to take (drain, refill, start-car, burp, top-up, burp, top-up) the difference being, changing out the faulty bottle whilst the system is drained (i.e before you refil with new coolant).

It could just be a loose bracket too. You might want to check that.

The mechanic spotted it when I had my last service, but he said it wasn't really critical and wouldn't fail an MOT so I've just left it. But now the weathers nice, I thought I'd see if I can sort it out myself. He said there's been some wear on the side of the bottle so best to replace it.

When I shake the bottle, it feels and sounds empty.

Any idea how I can change it? If it's not badly worn and is just a case of refitting the bracket I'd be tempted to give it a go myself.

This bottle simply slides into a c shaped bracket and clicks home. Mine came loose a couple of years ago and wore a hole in it from the belt. I first noticed the coolant level a little low, and when I went to top it up it ****ed out all over my feet!

New bottle was £40 from the dealer and took a lot of squeezing and swearing to fit. You have to contort it through a very awkward shaped gap. You'll think that it'll never fit but trust me, persevere and it'll go in.

Manual recommends bumper off and headlight out. **** that, just skin a few knuckles! Hope that helps.

Mark.

Back