• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Losing power after 10 minutes of driving

Have you had the heater on hot? That bleeds the heater matrix and will usually take a bit.

Yes you need to take it for a rip and see if the map etc makes much difference! It better do for the amount it has cost!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks guys, that puts me at ease a little. I made sure that the heater was set to max heat when i did the coolant change so that the circuit got completely full. There is obviously a bit of air in there somewhere that needs to come out over the next few days. I have answered my own question the air getting out btw. The rad cap has a valve on it that lets out air when its at a certain pressure :)

The expansion tank isn't pressurised and has a vent pipe in it. The theory is as the coolant expands it can let some pressure out, then as it cools it can suck it back in. Not many left of that system though, most stuff has a fully pressurised system which just pressurises the reservoir as well. Much simpler.

The expansion tank isn't pressurised and has a vent pipe in it. The theory is as the coolant expands it can let some pressure out, then as it cools it can suck it back in. Not many left of that system though, most stuff has a fully pressurised system which just pressurises the reservoir as well. Much simpler.

OK cool, it makes more sense now. Does that little rubber tube go into the top and right to the bottom of the res tank then so it can be sucked out? Lets hope it doesnt need much more because im out of coolant now so its just water going in there :)

Yeah I think it sits below the coolant level. Just topping up with a bit of water will be fine, it'll be around minus 30 from the pre mixed stuff. Though, boiled water is better to use as it's de ionised, I never bother normally but if it's pre mixed coolant that's what they would use.

I've never paid any attention to the coolant apart from when I filled the header tank with screen wash when I first got the car! The apprentice pointed it out to me at the time!

Good news. The water level has now stopped dropping which is great. I've not noticed the sluggishness come back either so I guess we can consider this one as case closed :).

Fingers crossed I can just enjoy the car for a bit now before something else pops up lol

Glad it's all sorted bud. I did hear the front discs grinding a bit the other day. I think they'll be due a change soon!

Back