• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lost Confidence in cleaning Milano Red

I've always really enjoyed cleaning my cars, and keeping them in mint condition.

With my past 2 Civics they have looked better after a year than the day I drove them off the forecourt.

But with the my Red FN2 its just not happening. Now I loath cleaning the thing as I just think I'm making it worse with swirl marks etc.

I started the same cleaning method using 2 buckets, leather chamois. But within the first two cleans I noticed swirls. So currently I have been using the following.

Rinse off
Foam with Gilmour Foam Gun, due to low water pressure it doesn't really lather up like some I've seen.
Clean wheels use Foam gun and wheel brush
Rinse again
2 Bucket method
Using 1 x Lambswool Mitt for the Roof, Bonnet and top of doors.
Rinse out buckets
Re-fill buckets
Use the 2nd Lambswool Mitt for lower doors and front skirt and rear of car.
Rinse off car use a stream of water to sheen of the shampoo.
Then dry with Poorboys Waffle Weave towel, and chamois for all glass.

This generally takes me between 1.5 to 2hrs.

I have changed this recently by getting a cheap pressure washer. So I rinse before and after the foam using the pressure washer. But still use a normal hose to sheen off the shampoo.

Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong or am I just getting paranoid?
The swirls are definitely there and I think they are increasing.

I think some of it comes from the drying process. The waffle towel seems to leave a trace of water that quick drys leaving light streaks that I then have to remove by applying pressure with a micro-fibre cloth and detailer spray. Also the towel will pull any water stuck in between panels and pull this water across the panel.

Because of the my concerns I struggle to clean the car when its dirty. As I don't want to work the dirt into the paint, I don't like to apply too much pressure with the mitts. This then makes it actually quite hard to remove the dirt and grim

At the moment I don't know what to do.
I'm tempted to get it detailed properly to remove all the swirls if possible and start a fresh. But if I can't get the wash method right they will only return.

Has anyone else thought the Milano Red Paint is very soft? Or am I noticing the swirls because its a non-metallic paint?

Mine is exactly the same matey, canhardly notice it though when polished up mind. What polish etc you using ? I think the more you clean a car the more you look at it detail wise.

honda paint is notorius for being damaged very easily. tbh your wash process is better than mine i only use single bucket method wiht one mitt and no pre soak!!! but anyways to dry i use a miracle dryer. it is really abosrbant and very very soft, and bloody big. i could do 2 cars without wringing it out. try getting one of these and see how it goes. fyi i have a cosmic ep3

see here for a miracle dryer

http://www.carwashnwax.com/

Try spraying some quick detailer when your drying the car with a microfibre towel.

As some will know I've recently had my car detailed by AndyH and picked up some good tips from him. I've washed the car a good 6-10 times since I've had the car detailed and through being very careful, I haven't made any swirl marks yet.

I use this towel : Miracle Dryer ultra plush 25" X 36"

and this detailer : Meguiars ultimate quick detailer

I believe the theory behind the detailer is that it reduces friction between the towel and the paint, whilst applying the protective properties of the detailer. It 's the best thing I'v found for eliminating streaky lines and watermarks as well.

Are you using the Poorboys towel dry?

IMO its the drying stage where the damage occurs. I use an obscene amount of QD when drying and if i'm totally honest it helps a little...nowhere near as much as i'd like.

Always use damp drying towels and try not to apply too much pressure on them. I find that the drag method works quite nicely followed up by a clean MF cloth and QD spray.

Your method is very good and you can take comfort in the fact that the swirling is only happening in the very top part ofthe laquer. A Final Finish polish on a polishing pad would remove any swirling. I'd usually do this every year anyway to prep the car for show season.

Are you using the Poorboys towel dry?

IMO its the drying stage where the damage occurs. I use an obscene amount of QD when drying and if i'm totally honest it helps a little...nowhere near as much as i'd like.

Always use damp drying towels and try not to apply too much pressure on them. I find that the drag method works quite nicely followed up by a clean MF cloth and QD spray.

Your method is very good and you can take comfort in the fact that the swirling is only happening in the very top part ofthe laquer. A Final Finish polish on a polishing pad would remove any swirling. I'd usually do this every year anyway to prep the car for show season.

Yes I'm using the poorboys towel, now thinking of changing.

Even with the towel dry, I find that it just drags a lot of the water across the surface of the paint. Then it drys leaving streaks.

So do you spray with lots of detailer on the towel, then buff it dry with a microfibre?

ive got swirls all over the car too,sick of cleaning it,spent 2hrs last week,two bucket method etc etc etc two days later the grit vans were out and then it rained for three days solid,car was filthy again,so i just go to the local bp garage and use the jet wash for quickness........roll on the summer:lol:

Yes I'm using the poorboys towel, now thinking of changing.

Even with the towel dry, I find that it just drags a lot of the water across the surface of the paint. Then it drys leaving streaks.

So do you spray with lots of detailer on the towel, then buff it dry with a microfibre?

If you use the towel dry you may be causing some marring that way. Do a test with your towel...wipe it over a CD both dry and wet. I can be 100% sure it will mark if its dry.

Personally i only use the Miracle dryer on cars i'm not machining. Its far safer in my eyes.

I spray QD on the wet untouched panel, spray the towel then wipe. Any streaking is then dealt with by a clean MF cloth and QD spray.

Also worth asking how old your wash mitts are? It's easy to get bits of dirt trapped in the lambswool mitts that you then drag across the paint. For this reason mine has been demoted to sills only and I now use a schmitt (sp?) wash mitt. I find it much better.

If water is hard in your area there is a meguirs (last touch or something similar) product you can apply before drying to help remove streaks.

My drying towels are kept in sealy bags etc to prevent getting dust and dirt on them while not being used, wash them fairly often too (no fabric conditioner!)

Paul - I've not really been a fan of towels in the past, but after using them we AndyH & myself done my detail I've changed my mind.

Although in the past I've used a hydra blade & chamois to dry mine & tbh I don't think I've ever caused that many swirls doing it this way.

As long as the panel & towel or chamois is soft & clean it should minimise anything.

:eek: Christ Lee, you surprise me!!!

:lol::lol::lol: Tbh Tone you should see how much water I use to pre-rinse the car & on the rinse. My old man is not happy he is on a water meter put it this way :lol:

But I clean the blade & spray it with QD & the chamois are soaked in hot water & a touch of QD before they go near the car. Never really had an issue.

Although next time I clean the car I'll see how well this method proves to be as the paint is pretty much swirl free.

I've used this method of drying on my past 4 cars & all of them looked good imo. One guy @ a Boxhill Jap meet pulled along side my Milano EP3 in his red ATR & couldn't believe how mine looked.

AndyH has always said to me, find a process that works for you. Something I do/use might not suit everyone.

Also worth asking how old your wash mitts are? It's easy to get bits of dirt trapped in the lambswool mitts that you then drag across the paint. For this reason mine has been demoted to sills only and I now use a schmitt (sp?) wash mitt. I find it much better.

If water is hard in your area there is a meguirs (last touch or something similar) product you can apply before drying to help remove streaks.

My drying towels are kept in sealy bags etc to prevent getting dust and dirt on them while not being used, wash them fairly often too (no fabric conditioner!)

The one I use on the top half of the car + bonnet is only a few months. Then another for the lower half which is about a year old.

Then my towel I wash after every use, no fabric conditioner and little to no persil etc.

Paul - I've not really been a fan of towels in the past, but after using them we AndyH & myself done my detail I've changed my mind.

Although in the past I've used a hydra blade & chamois to dry mine & tbh I don't think I've ever caused that many swirls doing it this way.

As long as the panel & towel or chamois is soft & clean it should minimise anything.

I remember borrowing your blade at JAE 2006:D

Off to buy a Miracle Dryer towel

mine has swirled like fook...and my rear wheels are caked with brake dust....not good!!:evil:

given up this winter...coming up to 15k now .....goes better that ever..but looks bogging.:lol:

Best thing for cleaning mf towels etc is a product called Woolite.

Though I stick to a nice mix of scrub with washing up liquid, soak for an hour, rinse, then soak for another hour.

Leave to dry naturally and bingo ,nice clean mf cloths and drying towels.;)

Best thing for cleaning mf towels etc is a product called Woolite.

Though I stick to a nice mix of scrub with washing up liquid, soak for an hour, rinse, then soak for another hour.

Leave to dry naturally and bingo ,nice clean mf cloths and drying towels.;)
Thanks for pointing me to this thread mate... I think you are being a perfectionist haha. I know I have not seen your car in the flesh, but in the pictures it always looks stunning!!

Your always going to get some swirls no matter how you wash it mate, The stuff you are doing will obviously help but your gonna have to get it pc'd if you want to get rid of them. I do mine properly about every 3-4 months as its impossible to wash your car without getting them

i dont dry my car, i let it dry on its own then polish it when the time comes round to do that. it drys not to bad any other time.
but my car has swirls in it, been told to get it detailed to get rid of them, and after reading the comments, sounds like the thing to do!

i dont dry my car, i let it dry on its own then polish it when the time comes round to do that. it drys not to bad any other time.
but my car has swirls in it, been told to get it detailed to get rid of them, and after reading the comments, sounds like the thing to do!

I wouldnt recommend letting the car dry naturally mate, the water will leave marks and impurities on the paintwork. Best using a mater magnet towel to dry

Back