• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Lots of talk about FK8 Values. FK2?

Hi; I have one of the few FK2's in New Zealand and am reading plenty about the price of FK8's in the UK and the values (whether that holds remains to be seen). I am interested in what the market is doing in the UK for FK2's. Is there a resurgence in interest/ values there given the more limited availability? In NZ we have one Fk2 NZD$65k and one FK8 NZD$58k currently for sale on our most popular web-sales platform. That's it !! As I've posted before there may be 10 (max) FK2's in NZ as private imports from UK or, as mine was, one of 5 brought in with zero mileage from the 750 that went to Japan.

FK2 values have always been strong in the UK but have risen quite sharply recently in line with the FK8. Mine is a 2016 with 17,000 miles and was quoted at £22,500 from an online buyer so worth a bit more privately. I paid £28,500 over 5 years ago.

Thanks for that. Yes I paid NZD$55,000 (£28,200 in todays exchange rate) in 2017 for my 2016 model. I've done 50,000km as a daily-driver with no issues. For the record, the one above at $65,000 has done 20,000km. Happy to hear any other experiences out there.

Due to lack of stock. It's the classic supply and demand. Also, as the FK8 is now out of production then the prices will prob rise a bit more .

Why are prices going up in general for S/H cars?

There are a few reasons. Due to manufacturing stopping (covid reasons) there was a low amount of certain chips (silicon chips) which are used on virtually everything from cars to mobiles. Stock and production of these is not back to normal yet and so production of cars is slower meaning less avail and so many are buying second hand at present which has pushed prices up.

Then there is shipping, many containers came here with PPE and the likes and never left,. They were emptied slowly and so the boats left without them and there was a massive amount of shipping containers left here empty meaning again nothing can be shipped in them.

Main dealers told me the above and a bit more, but basically things are slowly going to get back to normal but it would be late this year into early 2022.

went with the wife to local BMW Mini dealer the other weekend, all the cars *inside* their posh showroom were pre-registered / used car stock as all the brand new cars had gone to Customers. They were quoting a 6 month wait on a new car due to the chip-shortage, they'd never seen these type of supply issues for a Car built here.

went with the wife to local BMW Mini dealer the other weekend, all the cars *inside* their posh showroom were pre-registered / used car stock as all the brand new cars had gone to Customers. They were quoting a 6 month wait on a new car due to the chip-shortage, they'd never seen these type of supply issues for a Car built here.

Lol course they would, I guarantee the chips are made in China :)

^^^ I believe Taiwan is actually the largest producer of chips.

The US isn't as big a chip manufacturer as people believe, but they are attempting to build facilities in order to be more self-sufficient, as are China.

Problem is, chip factories cost billions to set up, take years to do so, and take ages to begin to make a profit, hence why the west hasn't done so when it has been easier to just buy them in from the east. Unfortunately, this has bitten us in the arse when the US/China trade war, Covid, and an increasing demand for chips in tech that never used to use them (things like wifi fridges) has put too much pressure on existing plants. When it comes to cars, chip manufacturers apparently make much less profit making chips for vehicles than they do for the likes of smartphones, so the motor industry isn't the priority. They also don't keep backstocks of pre-manufactured chips to help with scenarios like this as it eats into carefully-crafted profit margins.

^^^ I believe Taiwan is actually the largest producer of chips.

The US isn't as big a chip manufacturer as people believe, but they are attempting to build facilities in order to be more self-sufficient, as are China.

Problem is, chip factories cost billions to set up, take years to do so, and take ages to begin to make a profit, hence why the west hasn't done so when it has been easier to just buy them in from the east. Unfortunately, this has bitten us in the arse when the US/China trade war, Covid, and an increasing demand for chips in tech that never used to use them (things like wifi fridges) has put too much pressure on existing plants. When it comes to cars, chip manufacturers apparently make much less profit making chips for vehicles than they do for the likes of smartphones, so the motor industry isn't the priority. They also don't keep backstocks of pre-manufactured chips to help with scenarios like this as it eats into carefully-crafted profit margins.

Exactly this (must be the likes of China and Taiwan etc), when I was at Hyundai testing the I30N the guy told me that the chips were being produced by China etc and that they were prioritised for sales based on profits etc and that most are going to companies for their Phones, Fridges, washing machines and other smart tech before cars etc :-(

The current US/China issue is only going to add more issues I think going forward

Last edited:
Back