• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Loud Bang Whilst Driving!

I was heading to work on the motorway this afternoon when I heard an almighty bang. Sounded like someone had thrown a rock or something at my car as it was so loud.
icon_eek.gif

As I was almost at work I carried on and when I arrived I checked the car over expecting to find a huge dent or something and can find nothing at all. Even looked under the bonnet to make sure the engine hadn't blown. Very strange as I know I didn't run over any debris as the road was clear.
conf.gif

The car drives fine too.

would it be something in the car?

got back from my holiday and notice the car makes weird sounds, i soon realise it was my water bottle in the door cards, i leave them there cos i go gym often, so i guess they slide when i brake and accelerate. Scared me a first but still i'n thinking it cant be that :)

Just a though but did you check your windscreen for any chips/cracks? When mine cracked the stone made a hell of a bang.

Windscreen is fine apart from a small crack/chip that has been there for a few years. Sounded like a gunshot! :eek:

A Conker fell on my roof once as I passed under a Chesnut tree, scared the hell out of me.

No damage though.

More loud bangs whilst driving!

I was heading to work on the motorway this afternoon when I heard an almighty bang. Sounded like someone had thrown a rock or something at my car as it was so loud.
icon_eek.gif

As I was almost at work I carried on and when I arrived I checked the car over expecting to find a huge dent or something and can find nothing at all. Even looked under the bonnet to make sure the engine hadn't blown. Very strange as I know I didn't run over any debris as the road was clear.
conf.gif

The car drives fine too.

Hi

I came across your post on the Type R Owners Forum from 2010 while Googling "Loud bang whilst driving" and was interested to hear of the circumstances surrounding your "loud bang" event, very similar to my own experience.

This has now happened to me on 2 occasions whilst driving down the same stretch of the M40 in Oxfordshire. I drive a Skoda Octavia vRS and on both occasions I was startled by a loud bang or crack as though something large had hit the windscreen or a gun had gone off in the car. So much so that I instinctively ducked. Both times the radio went of for a second or two and I noticed the radios illumination go off and on again.

Subsequently the car drives fine and there is no evidence of any physical damage to the car.

I have since theorised about what could have caused such an "explosion". Things like hitting an object is the most obvious but would have left some sort of visible damage. Some people have suggested that I fell asleep momentarily and the "bang" is from your subconscious waking you up. I don't believe I fell asleep.

The first time this happened was during a torrential rain storm and so I put it down to a lightening strike, on or nearby the car.

Today was quite foggy, and although possible, I don't believe it was a second lightening strike. Too much of a coincidence.

I am now trying to think about other common factors. The stretch of M40 motorway is the same and is less than 300 metres from the BT Tower at Stokenchurch. This tower is a telecommunications link housing microwave transmission drums and other antennas. Is there any possibility that there could be some form of energy discharge that is picked up by my car radio, and transmitted as a loud bang through the speakers?

These episodes happened about 6 months apart.

Any thoughts out there? No conspiracy theories please
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you still got your sphincter? Not abducted by aliens?

On a serious note, check the battery isn't contacting on the underside of the bonnet etc.

Thankfully my sphincter is still intact, I haven't been abducted by aliens or woken up on the floor of the shower. I will however, check the battery.

Thank you.

Funny you should say this I had EXACTLY the same thing on the way home yesterday. I thought a kid had thrown a rock at the car or something had fallen on the roof. It was that kind of metalicly bang as if someone had whacked the roof. Stopped up, nothing whatsoever! No idea what caused it. My exhaust fell off a few miles up the road so i'm putting it down to either a backfire from a hole in the exhaust or something like that. Reeeeally strange! **** knows what it was.

Sometimes when it's wet the exhaust can vibrate and make odd noises. Not a bang though.

You know what, I cycled to work today and noticed a conked tree on the side of the road near where the bang was, so it must've been a conked falling on the roof! No dents though luckily!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Loud bang whilst driving! Episode 3

Hi

I came across your post on the Type R Owners Forum from 2010 while Googling "Loud bang whilst driving" and was interested to hear of the circumstances surrounding your "loud bang" event, very similar to my own experience.

This has now happened to me on 2 occasions whilst driving down the same stretch of the M40 in Oxfordshire. I drive a Skoda Octavia vRS and on both occasions I was startled by a loud bang or crack as though something large had hit the windscreen or a gun had gone off in the car. So much so that I instinctively ducked. Both times the radio went of for a second or two and I noticed the radios illumination go off and on again.

Subsequently the car drives fine and there is no evidence of any physical damage to the car.

I have since theorised about what could have caused such an "explosion". Things like hitting an object is the most obvious but would have left some sort of visible damage. Some people have suggested that I fell asleep momentarily and the "bang" is from your subconscious waking you up. I don't believe I fell asleep.

The first time this happened was during a torrential rain storm and so I put it down to a lightening strike, on or nearby the car.

Today was quite foggy, and although possible, I don't believe it was a second lightening strike. Too much of a coincidence.

I am now trying to think about other common factors. The stretch of M40 motorway is the same and is less than 300 metres from the BT Tower at Stokenchurch. This tower is a telecommunications link housing microwave transmission drums and other antennas. Is there any possibility that there could be some form of energy discharge that is picked up by my car radio, and transmitted as a loud bang through the speakers?

These episodes happened about 6 months apart.

Any thoughts out there? No conspiracy theories please
:lol:

A year on from the last episode of a loud bang in the car, the explosion happened again. It was on the same stretch of the M40, in the same car but this time was on my way home around 16:30. Exactly the same thing happened. A very loud bang with the radio going off and coming back on again. This time I was probably less than half a mile from the BT tower at Stokenchurch. Weather conditions - damp.

This is really wierd. :confused:

P.S. The tin foil helmet seems to be doing its job and keeping me from harm.

Back