• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lowering springs

Im new to all this folks so please bear with me
Ive purchased some eibach lowering springs and was intending on fitting these to the existing shocks but today i had a mechanic (apparently) say to me that i would need new shocks if fitting the springs?
There is nothing wrong with my current shocks though so i need your advice please folks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need new shocks mate. Some people say that when lowering springs are fitted it compresses the shocks more and cause them to wear out quicker. I don't believe this to be true.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

They actually do wear out quicker but if your shocks are fine now why buy new ones.
Imo if you really want to replace them go for adjustable coilovers instead.

I lowered my old BMW with just springs and the shocks were fine for the 5 and a half years I owned the motor. They were still good when I sold the car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I didn't go for coilovers due to funds as i was given these springs by a mate.
Is it advisable to fit them once i have camber bolts and rear camber arms? Or will it be ok for the time being?

You can fit them without doing the geo, but your handling, tyre wear and fuel consumption will suffer. Best to do it all at the same time. The last thing you want is an unpredictable car that eats tyres.

sorry to hijack a thread but i thought easier to carry this one on rather than start new, anyone got any pics of the 30/35mm drop on standard shocks? im looking into it too

Guys in regards to the rear camber arms is there a "do not touch with a barge pole" brand or type, as I've seen a lot all around £100 that i don't mind its what ones do i go for?

D2. Known to strip the adjustment thread on the main body.

SPC or Eibach are good as are Buddy Club but there have been some fake Buddy Club ones going round but if you get them from a known garage or dealer you should be OK though.

Back