• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Loxy's silver FN2 GT - J's Braces

So. I'm currently rocking a NHB pre-facelift EP3. GruppeM, Kpro and I don't know what else.

My car is to be set about first thing by TDi-North to fit their new TDi-North drop-in cams.

Paul's using my car as we've a dyno with all the current mods on but with standard FN2 cams and one with the Skunk2s, so it's a good comparison of what they will make.

I'll then drive round in them for a week to see how they are to live with before going back to my Skunk2s.

The full on stage 2 TDi cams are due in around 4-5 weeks, so I'll be trying those as well. :D

It makes a nice noise, doesn't drone at motorway speeds and the gear shift is spot on.

It's no FN2 though. Well, it's not my FN2 should I say.

Your FN2 was always an inspiration to me John. I like how mine kinda lives on in some small way through the braces that now reside in your car.

So. I'm currently rocking a NHB pre-facelift EP3. GruppeM, Kpro and I don't know what else.

My car is to be set about first thing by TDi-North to fit their new TDi-North drop-in cams.

Paul's using my car as we've a dyno with all the current mods on but with standard FN2 cams and one with the Skunk2s, so it's a good comparison of what they will make.

I'll then drive round in them for a week to see how they are to live with before going back to my Skunk2s.

The full on stage 2 TDi cams are due in around 4-5 weeks, so I'll be trying those as well. :D

Keep us posted on the cams!

So then.

Had a broken tensioner didn't I?! Probably did the Ring and Spa on it as well. :lol:

Paul did the base dyno this morning and it pulled 254 bhp. Baffled looks all round until the cams came to be swapped over and it was found the tensioner had gone, I mean completely gone. Teeth stripped, the lot.

The general thought is the chain slack must have been putting the exhaust cam out more than it can be adjusted by the ECU. Checking a log I did from a few weeks ago it was over-running over the commanded cam angle.

Anyhow, sounds like a good case for Toda adjustable cam gears in the future!

TL;DR

Knackered tensioner, caught before damage done. :p

TDi cams looking good. Not finished mapping yet, but looking good.

Exhaust cam cant be adjusted I thought, We only have adjustment ( camcmd) on the intake.

Did the S2 cams ramp angle do it ?

Lucky guy. :eek: That's a dangerous way to find out that adjustable cam gears would be a benefit. :lol:

No idea what's done it. Could be the ramp angle or lift on these Skunk2s. They are supposed to be quick ramp angle.

If you push the tensioner back now there's no resistance. It's just not gripping the teeth.

Chain is fine though so it seems. OEM tensioner in for now, but Toda one will be going in before the Skunk2s go back in.

Fair enough, I must have misheard exhaust. :lol:

I was just a bit :shock:

I don't see how adjustable cam gears would help either, maybe im being blind.

Thank fck you had good oil pressure though john, thats what kept you alive :D

So, since the base run this morning is out due to the tensioner issues we're holding out on comparing the TDi drop in cams.

When I've run them for a week, it's booked in to do another base run on the DIC then swap back out to the Skunk2s and do another run same day.

This will also tell us if the Skunk2 power is consistent with when they were installed or whether my engine has loosened up the right way. :lol:

Cracking figures, but I'll hold off until then Skunk2s go back in and it's all comparable again then.

Back