• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Major MOT Failure

Just got back from taking Accord for MOT and Major Fail.

Some simple fixes but also very small items which are HUGE cost we currently dont have with me being off sick for a month.
Biggest items to purchase is a CAT - £800+
and
Read headlamp levelling device - £245

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Any useful comments most helpful! Any other comments please keep them to yourselves.

xx

That's not good!

You could probably get an aftermarket cat cheaper than £800.
Do you have HIDs? They can't fail the headlight leveling system if you don't have one, they are only required for cars with HID or LED lights (over 2000 lumens). Can you remove it?
Brake refurb kits are quite cheap, but it's a big job and you don't want to pay labour on it. You should be able to find working calipers on ebay, but that's always a risk.

The corrosion will cost a lot to fix. There's no way around that.

The really tough decision is how much the car is worth and how much it will cost to fix. You will get very little for it in that condition, you'd have to sell it as spares or repair.

burn car with Walkden in it, dodgey rogue is worse than a Bradistan car dealer..

Though, replace cat, sort brakes and remove HIDs. Then find a "friendly" MOT place. Sh1t my MX5 passed easily enough, same for my CTR when it was turbo'd..

Get a second hand cat and the levellers sorted. Then sort the brakes. Could all be done for sub £500 I think if you shop around for parts. Could easily rise to £1k with labor though. Tough call.

burn car with Walkden in it, dodgey rogue is worse than a Bradistan car dealer..

Though, replace cat, sort brakes and remove HIDs. Then find a "friendly" MOT place. Sh1t my MX5 passed easily enough, same for my CTR when it was turbo'd..

With walkden in?! DAFUQ for?

....do it though, then I can buy my car back :D

oh and on OP.... perfect excuse for upgrades IMO.

Braided lines
Fluid upgrade
Decat manifold & Hondata (about the same price as a new CAT from honda)
Rip your xenons out and put normal person bulbs in
Caliper refurb or if budget allows, just BBK it.

oh and on OP.... perfect excuse for upgrades IMO.

Braided lines
Fluid upgrade
Decat manifold & Hondata (about the same price as a new CAT from honda)
Rip your xenons out and put normal person bulbs in
Caliper refurb or if budget allows, just BBK it.

Shes not spending anything on it

The garage have said that they were harsh because they're new to MOT's and had VOSA visit 6 times in one week.
______ said that why didn't you tell us you were going to fail it before they started as they knew there was no cat on it.

Were looking at options now.
Brakes sorted, welding done, then taking it to a 'friendly' place to get it through and then sort out the headlights after. Or depending on cost, sacking it off. Stripping the mods from it and selling them, then scrap it. Buy a cheap car for my lad which I will pinch until my car is ready.

Whichever is is the cheapest option.

If I need a cat then we can get one for £140

To be honest that is one of the best failure sheets I have ever seen. Any advisories?

Like you said though Mark, why they didn't say before they tested it as they knew it didn't have a cat on. Sounds like they just wanted to take your cash.

No advisories :lol:

We've just been down to Euro Car Parts and ordered a cat, the lad behind the counter has just offered us a straight swap for an ST170 with 12 month MOT. He was quite sure he could get the ATR through no problems.
I asked why he would want to swap and he said he just wants a faster car.

Seems a bit strange to me but we're considering it.

The the only predicament were in is were waiting on the owner of the garage to get back to us with a price for fixing the ATR. The MOT runs out tomorrow and I need it back for Monday. Other garages would be too busy to get it in now so I'd be screwed for work unless Sam drove me and picked me up.
Theyre dragging their feet though. If it's going to cost £500+ Then I'll swap for the ST170. It's only got to last till the end of April.

The other problem is Sam would keep the ST and sell the CRV :lol:

So after a day of running around here, there and everywhere. The ATR is in the garage and I have their works van.

The owner seems to think it's all fixable and for around £300.
Euro car parts failed with the cat and we took down the Evo 8 cat to see if it will fit. It looks close but possible.
The decat on the ATR is welded terribly, really shocking welds.
If the Evo's cat doesn't fit then there is another coming into Euro car parts on Monday.

The headlight sensor is by the rear wheel and adjusts the light when the car tilts. They're going to try and free it up and get it work again.

Everything else isn't really a problem. Worst case scenario is a new caliper and pads on the back but he's going to try and clean it up first.

Back