• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

major problem with CTR

i have a CTR 02 plate i had problems starting it a few weeks ago and posted a thread on her and after changing the fuel pump, filter, resetting the fuel cut off the car started but it would idle then as soon as tried to give it revs it was choaking and sort of back firing through the induction kit. after plugging it in i got the code for primary o2 sensor so i replaced this too. the ecm light has gone off now but still wont work and as soon as giving it revs its cutting out and aslo after a few mins when the choak comes off, can anyone help please? thanks

do you know if the timing chain has jumped a tooth, the back firing through the intake is because the fuel is igniting whilst a valve is still in the open position firing it out of the easiest route.

chain has jumped a tooth or two on the intake cam would be my first place to look.

filter is clean as it is a new one, and oil is fully topped up too. also have checked the chain already and has no problems, am pretty stuck here.

the injectors are fine, reason for change of filter and pump was when car was running ok fuel gauge reading wasnt correct and found car to be using far too much fuel. from this ecm light occasionally came on and code was fuel too lean bank one and after research found was to do with these components. and before i resolved this the car cut out and would start so went on to fix what i have and am now at this point.

knackered spark plugs?

I once had a micra where I pulled all of the ht leads off and didnt know what position they were ment to go so I plugged them onto random spark plugs, the same backfiring through the intake would happen.

Spark plugs or coil pack? Maybe.

From the revving and cutting out or cutting out when the choke cuts sounds like fuel starvation.

Fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors.

Or too much air.

Timing chain, broken bent valves, air leak from around the intake manifold.

Record a video of what it does and post it. This will help lots :)

I once had a micra where I pulled all of the ht leads off and didnt know what position they were ment to go so I plugged them onto random spark plugs, the same backfiring through the intake would happen.

Spark plugs or coil pack? Maybe.

From the revving and cutting out or cutting out when the choke cuts sounds like fuel starvation.

Fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors.

Or too much air.

Timing chain, broken bent valves, air leak from around the intake manifold.

Record a video of what it does and post it. This will help lots :)

^This.

My money is on the HTs being back on in the wrong order, followed by coil pack, followed by bent valves.

Back