• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Manifold + Cat

Morning guys,

Currently looking out for a manifold and sports cat. From what ive seen most seem to be decat, only one ive really seen that you can get with a cat is piper...

Am i missing something or is this the case?

Cheers,
Duffy

Mugen sell one, but it's about £2000. If you can find one.

Other than that, like you say, the Piper is a popular choice if people want to keep a CAT.

If I we're you I'd rather go all the way and get a full race header (and make loads of power) or not bother chnaging it at all.

Mugen sell one, but it's about £2000. If you can find one.

Other than that, like you say, the Piper is a popular choice if people want to keep a CAT.

If I we're you I'd rather go all the way and get a full race header (and make loads of power) or not bother chnaging it at all.

Cheers,
Ive gone decat before and its just a mission swapping things over for MOT's and having EML lights on and the likes.

Also, if i decided to go the full honk and go race header + decat you need Kpro/K100 and a map dont you.

Any info would be appreciate

EDIT: Any idea how a Piper + Spoon sounds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some will say that yes you can run race headers with OEM maps and such.

I will say rubbish, for two reasons.

1 - Whats the point, you won't get anything like the gains you're going to get if you do it PROPERLY.

2 - The ratios will be all out, as the increased air flow will be clearing the exhaust gases quicker when the car thinks that everything is normal, this has the potential to damage the engine. I for one don't want a 8000rpm engine to have ??'s over the fueling.

If you're going to do it, do it once and do it right. Get a manifold and an aftermarket ECU together, this will give you the best gains and peace of mind.

Im not sure if you saw the edit. If i got one with a cat do i still need to do ecu and mapping?

If it does, may as well go decat
DC Header - £390
K100 - £410
Mapping - £400

That about right?

His profile says EP3.

Just worth mentioning that sports cat can still fail the MOT.

Decat and friendly tester needed IMHO.
I couldnt find a friendly MOT centre where i live. I had to travel to newcastle to get it done (45 miles away).
Will probaby go for the piper and then when i get my other mods ill get it mapped to those and buy their decat pipe and can swap and change come MOT time.

Mine with full Piper got through MOT. I did enter the garage after a little blast to get it warmed up and told them ''Its a sports cat, i've warmed it up so it should get through if you do emmissions first'' LOL.

His profile says EP3.

Just worth mentioning that sports cat can still fail the MOT.

Decat and friendly tester needed IMHO.

Sorry on tapatalk. Try finding your local car forums and ask ref freindly places.

Im not sure if you saw the edit. If i got one with a cat do i still need to do ecu and mapping?

If it does, may as well go decat
DC Header - £390
K100 - £410
Mapping - £400

That about right?

Costings seem about right there.

Yes, if you alter the bore of the exhaust manifold system and put a freeer flowing CAT in there, you will be able to shift the exhaust gases quicker and thus get more fuel and oxygen in quicker, giving you more power. To be able to do this, you will need a mapable ECU.

To get the best out of your bolt on's a new map is always advisbale.

In fact, a new map on a OEM car is fanatastic mod by itself.

Back